Sunday, March 29, 2015

swing your pardner, do si do!


Now, that is a stage full of instruments! They were all for the presently 6-membered, 45-year-old band, Asleep At The Wheel. Hot Club of Cowtown, the opener of this double-bill program, was just a trio, taking up hardly any space up there.
But I digress.
Per my usual.
(smile)
Today was the first of their three-day stand at the Savannah Film Festival, playing twice daily at the Charles Morris Center. That's a punishing schedule, but this was the first doubleback, so everyone was fresh and lively. Me, too! I was working the same schedule they were, but at least I wasn't on stage!
I can certainly understand why these two Western Swing bands were paired together. The young fiddle player in HCoC had been inspired to take up that instrument after attending an early concert of AATW and being amazed by their fiddler at the time, Linda Bram (possibly? I may have mis-heard the last name). Nice connection, there!
Honestly, I preferred the sounds of the Hot Club of Cowtown. Their music was so diverse, ranging from Gypsy-jazz influenced tunes to bluesy numbers and old-fashioned love songs. For their two sets today, the songs played at the 4:30 PM late afternoon gig were not the same ones heard at the 7:00 PM evening show.
I know. I was there for both sets and heard every song.
As they said at that second show, they don't use a set list, preferring to go song to song based on the audience response. In other words, they fly without a net.
Incredible!
What songs, you ask? "I'm In The Mood For Love" and "I'm An Old Cowhand" (aka "Yippee-I-O-Ki-Ay"), for two very diverse songs and styles. Want more? Check out the almost-Russian instrumental "Dark Eyes", the very danceable "Minor Swing", the 1937 version of country classic "Cotton-Eyed Joe", and the almost-cabaret stylings of "Ghost Train". Amazing range!!!
"Ida Red", "She's Killing Me", and "Big Balls in Cowtown" were definitely in the swing tradition, for those wanting that type of music. Which means they were for everyone here for The Giants of Texas Swing programs today.
(smile)
Fine by me!
But my absolute favorite from this band had to be their rendition of "Pennies From Heaven", even though it made me cry. This video presents the song as I heard it. I know Mama must have inspired them to sing that one for me, while I was watching the band during their second show.
I just know she did.
Thanks for flying without a net, y'all.
(smile)
I wasn't able to see any of the afternoon gig, by either band, you see. I was working the lobby after serving as ticket-taker for that first show. No one ever came out so I could cycle in. However, The speakers in the lobby allowed me to enjoy the music, so that was good!
Still, when Frances (the Event House Manager) asked, during the start of the evening show, if I wanted to see any of the concert, I had enthusiastically answered "yes!". So, I was able to watch the last thirty minutes of Hot Club of Cowtown.
Perfect timing!
I was also able to watch the middle half-hour of the second show for Asleep At The Wheel. Nice! They definitely used a set list, but that was fine. I very much enjoyed watching as they performed some of their classics, like "Route 66", "Miles and Miles of Texas"", and "Hot Rod Lincoln". They also gave us several from their new album, Still the King: Celebrating the Music of Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys. Which songs, you ask? How about " I Can't Give You Anything But Love" and "Faded Love"? Also on the bill was "I Hear Ya Talkin'" and "The Girl I Left Behind".
Other tunes for today were "Rose of San Antone", "Cherokee Baby", and "My Wheels Are Still Here". (Sure, there were others, but I didn't know their names.)
Now, my feet are beat and I'm off the street...
(smile)
...looking forward to my next assist on Tuesday!

1 comment:

K. T. said...

5 April 2015 2:01 AM
Hello Faustina.

We are very thankful that you signed up for 2015 Savannah Music Festival . We had a lot of volunteers on Mar 29, 2015, and we are glad you were a part of our success. By serving with Savannah Music Festival on their project Giants of Texas Swing: 3/29 3:15PM-9:15PM (DOUBLE SHOW SHIFT) you helped us make our community a better place. Please come back to United Way HandsOn Savannah to check out more volunteer opportunities in our community.


Thank you again!
United Way HandsOn Savannah staff