Tuesday, March 24, 2015

no strikes for Stryker!


What a fabulous range this guy has!
His first song was the Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love", a pop classic! That started my toes tappin' and my hips swayin'!
Then, he segued into some funky soul, via an amalgam of two Curtis Mayfield songs, "Pusherman" and "Superfly". Nicely done!
Afterward, he was off into a country riff with the selection "Wichita Lineman", a tune made famous by Glen Campbell. Thanks for those memories!
Next up was a song of his own, from his new CD. The song, "Shadowboxing", also featured the work of the talented drummer, Jason Marsalis. That was definitely jazzy and bright!
He followed that with a slow, sweet, blues number, "God Bless The Child", done with a nice depth to it. Sah-weet!
I don't recall the next one, primarily because it was one I didn't recognize.
But I certainly picked up on "I'll Be Around"! Play it again, Dave!
Oh, wait... I haven't mentioned his name yet, have I?
Today's noon-thirty featured the Dave Stryker Quartet, formed specifically for this one show. The central figure, as the name implies, is the jazz guitarist, Dave Stryker. Apparently, I must have been living in a box, as I was unfamiliar with his name. As I discovered while tearing tickets, the majority of the folks in attendance were there to hear him, regardless of his support group.
Me? I've been to enough events at Savannah Music Festivals of the past to be well acquainted with the virtuosity of Jason Marsalis, so his name drew me to this concert. I knew, if he was involved, that I could expect good things. No disappointment here!
The two musicians rounding out the quartet were Bill Peterson and Rodney Jordan. Bill charmed the ivories as Rodney reached down to play those notes only dogs can hear. Woohoo!!! Wonderful!
You betcha that next time I'll know the name "Stryker"!

1 comment:

K. T. said...

03/31/2015 2:01 AM

Hello Faustina.

We are very thankful that you signed up for 2015 Savannah Music Festival . We had a lot of volunteers on Mar 24, 2015, and we are glad you were a part of our success. By serving with Savannah Music Festival on their project Dave Stryker Quartet: 3/24 11:30AM-2:00PM you helped us make our community a better place.