Tuesday, March 10, 2015

elephant in the jelly bean jar


Today, my first niece and I had an early celebration of her birthday.
That day won't actually occur until Sunday, but she had contacted me last Sunday to ask what day would work for me for lunch?
"Tuesday", I had responded.
We had texted a bit more, working out some details, and concluded with me saying, "I will look forward to time with you, as always."
Her sresponse was, "as shall I... with you, I mean."
Originally, we were going for her free burger at Ruby Tuesdays, but we would have had to go to the franchise way out southside, near I-95. Not hap'nin', captain! (Inside joke with her!)
Especially as we were adding a movie to our rendezvous!
So, lunch at Olive Garden, because they always treat us like family and give us lots of our favorite soups and tasty salad. Then, bop over to the Spotlight, one of our favorite theatres, for the new science fiction flick, "Chappie".
Loved it! Definitely not like "Short Circuit", the robot tale that inspired Christina's desire to see this one. But this one does feature a robot which becomes sentient, just as that three-decade-old movie did.
One of the coolest things about the movie today? We were introduced to a new band, Die Antwoord, as they supplied most of the music in the movie. Their style is referred to as rap-rave, but I'm not sure that describes the true flavor of it. I prefer their categorization of their band: ZEF RAP-RAVE KREW from ZUID AFRKA. They describe ZEF as the lifestyle choice to be true to oneself and not be concerned with others opinions about style or mannerisms or anything else.
Also, their lead singer, ¥o-Landi Vi$$er (nee Anri du Toit) and her husband and co-bandmate, Ninja (born Watkin Tudor Jones), were excellent as the neo-punk gangster couple. The real trick was they weren't really acting; that was them as they are, minus the weapons. How cool is that? The cameras simply had to be there to capture their lifestyle - and the real-life love they have.
After, we headed back to my car, still parked at the site of our lunch.
That's when I pulled out the silvery, glitter-bedecked box.
Inside were two items, one old, one new.
Which did she want to open first?
The one on top, of course!
That was the
"something new."
It was one of the special bracelets I had bought because they reminded me of Mama, reminded me of her jokes, reminded me of my need to share her with those dear to me.
Especially with my first niece.
Of course, I told her the joke, too.

She had not heard it before, so that was new to her, too.

Why did the elephant paint his toenails all different colors?
So he could hide in the jellybean jar!


(smile)

Then to the second gift in the shiny box.
The "something old."
The necklace was
one of Mama's,
one she had always
enjoyed wearing,
one she had
purchased while on
one of many visits
to Jekyll Island.
Mama had such a love of wearing jewelry,
as does Christina.

Doesn't the necklace look so lovely on her?
May you enjoy it for many, many birthdays, my dear!

No comments: