Tuesday, March 24, 2015

barr the door, the apaches are here!


One of the coolest parts of volunteering for the Savannah Music Festival events at the Charles Morris Center is this light fixture and its twin. Doesn't it look like a giant sea urchin? I've seen those creatures up close, while swimming in the lagoon outside the antenna array at NSGA Galeta Island, in Panama. Add a tinge of purple to the light structures and they would look exactly like sea urchins!
That's good that I enjoy looking at these "sea urchin" lights. Tonight, that's pretty much all I was able to see of the concert. I was working the lobby curtain, trying to keep that light from dazzling the music enthusiasts inside the hall, during a steady stream of late arrivals and those exiting for more beer and cocktails before their return to the concert.
I tell you, it was cRaZy.
The Barr Brothers and The Apache Relay concert became sold out within minutes of the show's start. (That was good for the couple that arrived forty minutes late. They had purchased their tickets online. Sadly, they missed most of the band they came to hear. Silly rabbits.) The majority of the attendees were under fifty years of age, with a fair number being under thirty. We literally ran out of chairs.
Fortunately, I was able to hear at least part of the concert. One of the sound guys turned on the speakers in the lobby so Randy and I, and those visiting the bar, could enjoy the tunes. I appreciate that!
I was able to dance some, but The Barr Brothers don't really play dance music. Not quite. With a harp as their central stage instrument, they're an esoteric folk band. Want to know more about their zeitgeist? Here's the quote on their biography page.
“What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.”
-Werner Herzog

Not really my cup of tea, you know. I'm still a Meat Loaf girl and have been since my teens. I'm clearly not one of the enlightened ones who came just to hear The Barr Brothers play. Still, I offer this link for one of their songs, so do feel free to try them on for size.
You never know when you might find a new treasure for your soul if you don't try on new things to see how they fit.
The Apache Relay was a much more enjoyable group for me. I've even heard one of their songs before! "Power Hungry Animals" was in the coming of age movie, "The Way Way Back". Nice!
They're still a bit folksy, but with a solid rock-pop vein throbbing in their body. Definitely danceable!
I did just that, too, when Sue Ellen relieved me of curtain duty so I could go in and enjoy three songs. Very nice! About half the crowd had left after the first band was done, so the room wasn't nearly so crowded. Even better! Here are the videos for two of those three songs I heard, the fun little love song "Katie Queen of Texas" and mournful "Can't Wake Up", for your ears and your toes.
Actually, their music reminds me of Barefoot Booyah, a band now on hiatus. Maybe they'll come together for a spring evening soon?
Ah, a girl can dream!

1 comment:

K. T. said...

03/31/2015 2:01 AM

Hello Faustina.

We are very thankful that you signed up for 2015 Savannah Music Festival . We had a lot of volunteers on Mar 24, 2015, and we are glad you were a part of our success. By serving with Savannah Music Festival on their project The Barr Brothers/The Apache Relay 3/24 6:15PM-10:00PM you helped us make our community a better place.