Sunday, March 22, 2015

molte grazie, ancora una volta, per le opere


How absolutely divine to again attend the two Puccini operas!
This time, I was able to truly enjoy myself, partly because I knew the story lines, partly because I had remembered to bring my eyeglasses.
I had also done a little homework.

This time, I noticed Hanna Suddath.
Only sweet sixteen and already making her debut in opera!
She's a local girl, too,
a former member of the
Savannah Children's Choir.
How about that?!
She was one of the nuns in the chorus
for the first opera,
then a rambunctious 7-year-old boy
for the comedic piece.
I anticipate a bright future for her!
Speaking of those making debuts today, I especially noted the young man playing the nephew, Rinuccio, in the comedy. You know, that very handsome tenor? He's Santiago Ballerini, of Argentina, with his first opera in the southeastern USA. This is not his first time in Savannah, as he won a scholarship two years ago with the Savannah VOICExperience. Clearly, he is a most talented singer!
His ladylove onstage, Lauretta, is exuberantly played by Micaëla Oeste. A soprano with the type of voice you dream of for arias, she could sing the sports pages and that would be fine by me! She is certainly my favorite soprano, ever. She also has quite a sense of humor and curiosity, as evidenced on her website.
For comedic timing and fabulous baritone, Mark Delavan is a force to be recokoned with. How very appropriate that he should play the scheming Gianni Schicchi, outwitting the family at their game of greed! He does it with such charm and grace that you would willingly grant him whatever his heart desired.
Or, at least, I would.
(smile!)
While I'm talking about lead singers, Verónica Villarroel deserves accolades for her excellent performance as Sister (Suor) Angelica. Many times, I have found that sopranos can wander into the stratosphere in their attempts at emotional angst, but not this time. She was intelligible at all times, never allowing her voice to turn words into sheer noise as some do. Her body language, in tandem with her voice, conveyed her extreme misery at the news of her son's death and, later, at her realization of the poorness of her decision to kill herself. Splendidamente, signora!
My deepest gratitude to the Savannah Music Festival for giving me this opportunity to volunteer for these musical feasts. My cup runneth over...and I'll drink every drop I am granted!

1 comment:

K. T. said...

2:01 AM
March 29, 2015

Hello Faustina.

We are very thankful that you signed up for 2015 Savannah Music Festival . We had a lot of volunteers on Mar 22, 2015, and we are glad you were a part of our success. By serving with Savannah Music Festival on their project Suor Angelica & Gianni Schicchi: 3/22 12:30PM-4:45PM you helped us make our community a better place.