Sunday, March 15, 2015

hitting my marks


That's an acting term, y'all.
Technically, I'm not an actor, I'm a teacher. If you ask me, though, there isn't that much distance between the two. That's fodder for another place, not here.
When one 'hits one's marks', then one is in exactly the right place at exactly the right time.
That was me today!
If I had been any earlier to the Tybee Arts Center, I may have been discouraged about gaining entry. The performance was sold out, as had been the previous performances.
As it was, I arrived just a few minutes before show time. I only had to wait a few more minutes before time expired on a group reservation. Yeah!!! I always enjoy the plays chosen by the Tybee Arts Performing Society (T.A.P.S.), especially as they feature older actors, as in folks my age or older. The themes appeal to folks with some life experience under their belts, too!
"The Dixie Swim Club" was no exception.
This play was also crafted by Jones Hope Wooten, the master story tellers who wrote "Til Beth Do Us Part" and "Hallelujah Girls", two earlier plays translated to the Tybee stage by T.A.P.S.
Those were also two plays which I had seen with great glee, especially as they featured sassy Southern women and clever humor.
I was looking forward to more of the same - and I got it!
Here's the premise.
Five dear friends, once members of a high school swim team, reunite for a weekend each August. The play spans thirty-three years of these reunions, with the focus on five weekends several years apart.
We are treated with sharing the joys and trials in the lives of Sherree, Dinah, Jeri Neal, Vern, and Lexie, all from different paths in life. I did cry a little in the second act, but that just proves I was paying attention to the heart in the friendships of these women.
Also, I couldn't leave the topic without mentioning the singing commercials, written by Renee DeRossett. Hilarious! She uses familiar songs ("Under The Boardwalk", "I Got You, Babe", "These Boots Are Made For Walking", for this performance) as the backdrop for memorable ads for restaurants, coffee bars, and realtors. Kudos!

On the way back into town, I noticed my odometer was nearing a milestone mileage.
Nice!
Where would I be when it hit 162000?
Would I be in Savannah yet?

Well, yes, I was.
In fact, I was almost to
my midtown destination
when that last
little wheel
spun into place.
I had just
taken the exit
for Eisenhower Drive,
so I was off the busy Truman Parkway.
Good timing!
Actually, it was perfect timing for my entrance to the monthly Coastal Jazz Association concert!
Gil "BOP" Benson was no more than two songs from intermission.
The restaurant,
B. Tillman's this time,
was packed, with nary an empty seat in sight.
I stood to the side
of the bassist,
swaying to the music,
feeling the groove...
...and what to my wondering eyes should appear but my dean and her husband? Seated at a tiny table, nearly front and center, too!
Moreover, she and her husband left after intermission, freeing the table to me! Wow!
I was definitely in the right place, at the right time, again!
For the second set, the scat artist was joined by Savannah's bluesy jazz crooner, Claire Frazier.
Very nice!
They did a tune together, then she held sway, granting us a solo performance of "Satin Doll"! Loved it!!! A jazz staple, usually it's an instrumental, so this was a treat to hear the lyrics! I told her so, too, when she returned to her table, right by mine and she thanked me graciously.
The band gave us a couple more songs, but I didn't really know them. Then BOP tried his hand at Johnny Mercer's "Fools Rush In". It took him three starts to get the key to turn, but he finally unlocked the tune!
Bravo!
Such a lovely day this has been!

No comments: