Thursday, March 5, 2015

bridge to grace concert!


Wow!
This was the first-ever in-studio concert I can recall!
Kudos to my nephew, Michael, for inviting me to be his "+1"!
How very cool!!
That's him, or at least his spiky hair, in the lower right of the photo,
as the band is getting in place.

Now, then, you may recall that I was once wed to a disc jockey, right? So, there were some memorable, intimate, concerts that I was fortunate enough to attend.
For example, the Dido concert atop the swanky Sapphire Grill, in a tiny rectangular space that sat no more than forty. We dined on some very fine appetizers, including a scrumptious broiled calamari with lots of garlic. This must have been in 2003 (maybe in late summer?), after "White Flag" hit the airwaves.
Then there was Carole King.
omG!!!! Yes, it was really her!!! Singing "I Feel The Earth Move" and "Natural Woman" and "You've Got A Friend"!!! She was in town for a political rally and we stood outside the Sentient Bean that cold Friday night, along with a crowd of other fans, glorying in her turning toward us during the songs!!! She came out afterward to meet us stalwarts who had stood, throughout her concert, in that freezing weather. (Surprisingly, she's shorter than me.)
That was on February 27, 2004, maybe only a week after Jeff had been released from getting the first pair of stents in his heart. (That's what made the date easy to recall.)

How did I get so fortunate today?
Michael had texted me just after 11 this morning.
"Do u have any plans between 430 and 6?"
Well, actually, I had thought I might go to the Jepson Center's lecture and reception for the "Visual Blues" exhibit...but, it's rare that Micheal contacts me, so I wrote "What's up? I'm pretty flexible today."
He responded, "I won some meet and greets for Bridge To Grace. Interview, acoustic performance, and pizza. Wanna be my +1?"
So that's what I did this evening!
Yeah for me for trying something different!
Of course, I checked out their website first. Hey! They're Georgia boys!
Then I bopped over to youTube, following their links for their recent release, "Bitch", as well as an older song, "Everything". Alrighty then! They utilize some change-ups in their music - I definitely like that!
So I went!

That's me, the chick in the fuchsia sweater, and on my left is my nephew, Michael. (His pizza got extra cheese, as I'm lactose-intolerant.)
My thanks to Ryan, at ROCK 106.1, for the awesome photo!

This shot, though, is all mine!
Here we have Christian (bass), Justin (beatbox and vocals), David (lead vocals), and Alex (guitar and vocals).
They were about to sing "Bitch", their first song for us in this acoustic set, and had asked if we wanted the radio version or the dirty one.
The response had been unanimous: the dirty one!!!
Full tilt boogie, y'all!
The guys liked that enthusiasm!

Here they are in action, doing their third song for us, "Everything".
(I had said that was my favorite bagel. Christian got a kick out of that.)
The second song was "Lost in Memories", which is fortunately on the EP.
Excuse me: on the freshly autographed, authentic EP they gave us.
(That "authentic" is an inside joke, y'all, with the band.)
(smile!)
This one was taken on the other side of the room, to make sure Alex was in the picture.
(Get it? Hahaha haha!)
They played six songs total, four originals (the three above and "Take It All") and two covers (Sevendust's "Angel's Son" and Allman Brothers' "Simple Man").
Awesome show, guys!
(And here is another rave review by someone there today.)
I was the oldest one there, by a long shot, but that's okay.
I still know how to rock out!
(smile!)

No comments: