Wednesday, June 10, 2015

in search of white squirrels in Transylvania


Yes, Virginia, they do exist!
Just take a gray squirrel (their originating species), put the furry whiteness of its belly all over, and you have the white version.

But first, let there be
breakfast on the deck.
Oh, yes!
On our first morning at Fairway Forest Resort, the deck was too wet from the previous night's rain.
Morgan was still sleeping, so I had time for myself... and coffee, of course.
(smile)
Then we headed for Brevard, NC,
in Transylvania County.
Nice, n'est-ce pas?
We had both researched the town
the night before, she finding out
about the special critters,
me divining lunch and museum sites.
Lo and behold! What a sight we saw!
The streets had little white squirrel outlines, in metal, up by the traffic lights!
How adorable!!
And little toy white squirrels
on the pedestrian signals
and in the trees outside the shops!
Even more adorable!!!

Even the trees outside
The White Squirrel Shoppe
had plush toy versions of the animals
scampering up and down their trunks!
Sweetness!
Inside, I found pink white-squirrel-bedecked socks and a cool magnet with a dangling squirrel!
Happy, happy! Morgan, too!
And, look! Right around the corner,
in the alley, on the wall!
Some enterprising artist had
taken paint to surface,
on a grand scale!
Truly, it was hard to get the entire image into a single photo.
I think I did well, though!
Then, in search of the Transylvania Heritage Museum we went!
Believe it or not, it's set so far back from the street that we almost missed it.
Local pride is the theme and you can feel it as soon as you walk through the door.
Pride in the people, pride in the many camps for children through the years, pride in county.
Back to the main street again,
we found the Post Office.
Sweet!
I wrote a message on the white squirrel card for Tony and sent it out. I wonder what the postmark will read?
Next, photo op for Morgan and the little statue of squirrels!
Then we went to Mayberry's!
Named for the place in the tv show,
you order at the counter and you bus your own table.
I really liked it!
I had the gazpacho and half a Mayberry's Gingered Pork sandwich. Morgan opted for the whole Sweet Apple Bacon Sub.
We ate every crumb!
Time to find those elusive white squirrels and verify their existence!
Down the hill to Brevard College we drove.
Wait a minute!
Was that squirrel chatter we heard???
Yep! But just gray ones in this tree.
Drats.
But the head maintenance man saw us and took pity.
He sent us to the gym, and the creek,
for further search efforts.
We walked down the creek,
behind the gym,
looking in each tree along the way.
No white squirrels.
Drats.
But what a lovely running track!
What a lovely view the runners have!
Back towards the car we went.
And, just as we stopped searching,
there it was...
a white squirrel!!!
On the grass in front of the gym!
We both squealed, taking photos as fast as we could, trying to get ever closer.
Wow!
Every bit as adorable as we had hoped!
And you can see some of its gray squirrel heritage in its face!
And it looks so clean!
How can that even be possible???
Does its fur repel dirt?
Who knows!?
As a scientist, I know someone must know about its fur and its genetics, but right now that really doesn't matter.
All that matters is taking photos of these beautiful little creatures!
(smile!)
And so we do, over and over, until we were sated.
Truly, I could fill this post just with their photographs.
Afterward, Morgan wanted to dip her feet in the waters of the "beach" there.
Brrr!!
That's some cold mountain water!!
As she came back up, I spotted the penny at my feet, at the base of the tree.
I almost cried.
"Right place, right time", it said to me.



"How did you even see that?", Morgan asked.
"They just drop out of the sky in front of me," was my emotion-choked reply.
I realize that I am truly glad Morgan was with me for this trip.
Every little thing is gonna be alright.
(smile)

2 comments:

Aunt Barbara said...

June 17 at 12:18am

Sure did like the trip,It was great and I am not even tired.Thanks!

Pat Andres said...

June 11 at 12:01pm

I wrote a book about a white squirrel that lived in my yard.