Wednesday, June 24, 2015

birdcage in a mango!


Here is where I stayed: Crescent Resort.
What proof do I have?
Well, that's my pink hat in the left-hand window on the second floor.
I took this on my way down Ocean Drive.
I had finished off the pasta and chicken from last night's dinner and was
in need of some dessert...
and maybe a show!
After all, this is my last night
in South Beach.
I definitely need to partake of some of the night life active on this Strip!
It's now or never, as Elvis would say!
Here is an evening shot of the triplet
on my magnet
!
Actually, it's not exactly like the magnet.
But it's very, very close!
To the left of the Crescent is the place
with that ceviche I had for brunch.
It also supplied the parking area - somewhere - where the valet has stored my car until tomorrow morn.
The Penguin opened in 1948,
so it is a bit late to be Art Deco,
but I say this place fits in beautifully!
This Pelican seems ready to
fly away with the sun,
or perhaps to soar to the moon!
After looking at its website,
this 1994 hotel sounds like a
really cool place to stay.
But which of its themed rooms to choose??
I suggest more than one night there...
(smile)
This is most likely the one Art Deco hotel you've seen over and over in photos.
Built in 1936 and renovated a
scant four years ago,
Hotel Breakwater has its blue neon gleaming night and day.
It truly is a magnificent structure!
But it doesn't say "Art Deco" in the sweet, quaint voice of the Crescent, does it?
Speaking of facelifts and such,
The Carlyle was half-veiled to hide
the fine surgery being done
on its 1941 facade.
But don't think this is a hotel
these days.
Oh, no, she's all condos...
but they can be rented.
How about this one, you ask?
Is this 1937 beauty a hotel still?
Yes, indeed, the Waldorf Towers
very much is!
With its corner lot,
just about halfway down Ocean Drive,
the hotel has a prime location
for people-watching.
Trust me, you'll be doing lots of that!
Recognize this one from earlier?
Of course you do!
Its Victor, the hotel which honors
my bfe's cat!
Although its exterior retains
its earlier glory,
the interiors have all been updated.
Better? I don't know.
Just newer.
The same is true of this 1936 structure,
designed by L. Murray Dixon.
The insides were resculpted in 2008,
to make it more pleasant for
today's modern visitors.
I like that its demure demeanor at dusk.
(smile)
The Edison is beginning to
shine forth its neon to
light up a traveler's face.
Or something like that.
(smile)
(No, these are not in chronological order, but that's okay.
We have arrived at our destination!)
Mango's Tropical Cafe!
Pumping music out to the street
already on this summer eve!
When I asked the doorman about
the cinematic link to "The Birdcage",
he had no idea what I was talking about.
Then again, perhaps he is simply too young?
His loss!
I hope he will watch the 1996 movie now, especially the opening credits, with the
great view of Ocean Drive from the Atlantic!
There were great views inside, too!
For instance, this Cherry Lemonade Mojito is quite lovely, isn't it, as is the bartop.
(smile!)
But much more loveliness was to come.
No, not their version of the ubiquitous chocolate lava cake - it was cloying and quite mundane.
I speak of the night's entertainers!
Lovely dancers!
These two were so sweet together,
and the tune was romantic,
starting the music set beautifully.
What was the song?
I cannot recall the name of it.
(sigh)
Maybe it'll come to me later
and I'll let you know.
(smile)
A lovely dancer in flashy ruffles,
with trumpeter,
for "Besame mucho"!
Oh, yes, please do!
(smile!)
Another pair of dancers!
This guy was SO hot, y'all!
His moves...
oh, my, his moves...
definitely sweet dreams tonight!
Then a singer took the stage!
She was okay,
but what really got my attention
were her shoes...
with their six-inch heels!
The bartender took the stage
for this dance number.
He was really good, too!
I took this photo for my BFF,
but I like it, too.
More sweet dreams!
Then, after a mariachi trio had wended
their way through the audience,
the trumpet man was back to the stage,
with another lovely one
dancing to his solo tune!
Yet more sweet dreams?
Oh, you bet!
(smile!)
One last act for this set
and it was a doozy!
Believe it or not,
this pair was a rap mime duo.
I kid you not!
And they were
so
very
good.
Wow!
Very nice way to end the evening
and my last night in SoBe!

No comments: