Sunday, October 4, 2015

take me to church, les miserables!


Wow! This day has been such a grace-filled day!
I had run a little late for the "Animate" series today, but was still there in time for the video. Hooray! This time, a minister, Mark Scandrette, was talking about looking at his congregation and seeing distracted people looking back. Who was hearing the message? Was his dojo giving any assistance to his flock?
I very much liked the message about living in the moment. I realized that I have two places where I truly feel I am doing that: at the beach and in my classroom. I also have a time when I am living in the moment: when I am in the audience at almost every movie, play, or concert.
I wonder who might have agreed with me if I had spoken up? If we had not been running so short on time, I would have talked and shared my thoughts. Next time I will!
For the sermon - and theatrical presentation! - I chose to sit in the third row of seats, right in the middle of folks I didn't know. And guess what? I met a couple visiting from Florida and we talked about Reconciling Ministries! That was different! And I saw Bill and got a hug!
And I saw my niece, Molly Hester, and gave her a big hug! She was sitting in the choir area, waiting for her role as Cozette to begin. (She would sing "Castle On A Cloud" during communion.) Hooray! And we talked to Doug Povie, the bassist, about the Blind Boys of Alabama and their rendition of "Amazing Grace"! Why? Because we were going to sing that song, to the music of "The House of the Rising Sun", just as they do. Hooray!!!
Then the show began! Hooray! The opening number was with the full cast for "At The End Of The Day". I sang along, of course! That was followed with all of us singing "When The Poor Ones", aka "Cuando El Pobre", one of my favorite hymns and so very appropriate for this day!
The announcements were done by the Thenardiers, the landlords. (I knew the man looked familiar! Turns out it was my brother-in-law John Hester! Great accent and make-up!)
Then the story of Jean Valjean began in earnest. From the first laments of "Look Down", to the hopefulness of the bishop's gift, and on to the Javert's promise in "Stars". For the music during communion, we received three songs: "I Dreamed A Dream"; my niece's song; and "Bring Him Home". After the sermon, we all sang "Amazing Grace", BBoA style! Then, to wrap things up at the end of the service, we were treated to a full cast rendition of "Do You Hear The People Sing?"
Hallelujah!!! Yes, I do!!!
One of the nicest things about having this musical at Asbury Memorial United Methodist Church again? Seeing the joy on Rev. Billy Hester's face as he sat, eyes closed, listening to the songs and mouthing the words. What a gift this was, not only for us, but also for him.
Such a blessing!
The sermon today? "Where Are Your Candlesticks?"
What was it about? Living a life aware that each day is a gift from God.
Amen to that!
We all dined together after it was all said and done, having our BIG Coffee Hour on this first Sunday.
I saw Kevin and got a hug! He also reminded me that the topic this Monday for Philo Cafe was his and would be on Shakespeare.
Thanks for the reminder!
I saw Hai and spoke to him - and he even spoke back to me!
Hooray!
I found Bill there, too. "Hello, gorgeous," he said! We talked about his upcoming plans for Chico, CA, and my adventures with master cylinders...and we hugged, too!
Wonderful!
Such a grace-filled day!
i thank You, God!

No comments: