Monday, October 19, 2015

having fun with my biggest little brother!



Yes, yes, I know I posted this just a day or so ago, with the photos from my nephew's wedding, but I wanted to emphasize something here.
Harvey is the first brother I ever had.
I didn't grow up calling him by his name, though.
You see, he's a 'Junior'.
'Juniors' always have to go by something other than their first name, as that name is already in use by their dads.
So, to me, he will always be Smitty.
I worked full-time for him from April of 1996 until August of 2010. I had started work for Smitty's Hardwood Floors to get his business computerized. He had just moved into a showroom space and handled all types of flooring for quite a few years. Now, he's back to the wood floors, working with materials he loves.
The full-time position ended when he left the showroom and moved into an office space in his warehouse. Business had slowed down tremendously and he was working to ride out the economic downturn. I happened to land a three-year, full-time, temporary teaching position at Armstrong, so the timing was perfect for the change for both of us.
Ever since then, he and I still work together once a month or so. I help take care of the monthly sales tax, the quarterly taxes, and the end of the year W-2's and 1099's. In return, when I need work done around the house, like the recent remodeling of my bathroom, he handles it.
Very good arrangement for both of us!
I am very proud of the good work he has done, and continues to do.
How very fortunate I am to have him for a brother!

6 comments:

faustina said...

October 17, 2015

I posted the photo on fb, with this message:

me and my biggest little brother, Harvey, who only gets called that name by his wife, Mary

Boone said...

October 22, 2015:

Good people!!!

Hallie said...

October 22, 2015

We call him "Hawvey" sometimes! Good to see Smitty!

Donna H said...

October 22, 2015

y'all all got the "same" eyes !

cousin Penny said...

October 22, 2015

I sure do love you two. Just getting a card off to Tony today... Will be late, but a surprise! Big smooches from Tallahicky!!!

Penny G in Bluffton said...

October 23, 2015

Beautiful family pic. Love you, Tina!