Thursday, October 1, 2015

dancing the blues with 3 kings!


Hooray!
For the first time in what feels like ages, I was an usher at the beautiful Lucas Theatre tonight!
Between summer trips hither and yon, followed by car troubles, I have not served in that capacity since late May. Since that time, there has been a change in management at the theatre. I'd had some concern about that change, but no need!
In fact, I had hoped to be scheduled for this show in October, but when the usher schedule was announced last week, I was not set for this concert. No worries, I was scheduled for plenty of other shows this fall month!
But, I had really hoped for this one, too.
Then, two days ago, the new manager asked if I would, after all, work the "Blues Trinity Concert: A Tribute to the Three Kings".
Would I???
Of course I would!!!
Hooray!!!
Then I had yet another trip today to the mechanic about my clutch. He was able to nurse it back to health, thankfully, so I was able to make the show.
Hooray!!!
What three kings, you ask? Was this a too-early prelude to the upcoming Christmas holidays?
No, silly rabbit.
These three Kings were blues guitarists, related by their love of music and naught else. Known collectively as the "Three Kings of the Blues Guitar", the three were contemporaries and all have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If ever there was a reason for me to go to Cleveland, o-HI-o, this would be it!
My favorite of the three, and, perhaps the most well-known, was B.B. King. I have had the good fortune to have seen him in concert twice, both times while attending graduate school in Tallahassee in the late 1980's. Part of my undying love of the Pfeiffer-Goldblum movie "Into The Night" is the soundtrack, which featured Blues Boy King in most of the songs. Fabulous romantic comedy action drama! Fabulous classy, elegantly-styled, blues music, sung by a master!
B.B. King started recording in the late 1940's, at least a decade before the other two bluesmen featured tonight. In his mid-20's, he had already gathered a radio following. Very impressive! He and Lucille, his beloved guitat, would continue to be a force in the blues world, and elsewhere, for another six decades. Can you tell I'm a bit partial to him?
(smile)
The leanest and tallest of the Three Kings was Albert King. He was fairly unknown by his true last name of Nelson. His hardcore style started being noticed in the early 1960's, when he was in his thirties, with his licks on "Born Under A Bad Sign" drawing well-deserved attention. You can hear him, and B.B. King, together in this 1989 concert in Japan. (Seriously...go ahead and have a listen! You can always come back here later.)
All refreshed now?
One more King to consider here. Freddie King first got noticed in his late 20's for his instrumental "Hide Away", a funky little tune. The song highlighted at tonight's concert was "Big Legged Woman", a love song for Rubenesque gals. Yeah!
Three Kings, three different playing styles, all emulated by local blues boy Eric Culberson of EROK, their fan extraordinaire. The singing was handled by him and Ray Lundy of Bottles & Cans. Special guest Laiken Williams added her sultry tones on several songs, too.
As for musicians, the left side of the stage was occupied by five from the Bonaventure Horns on trumpet, trombone, and saxophone - mighty fine! The wall of sound on stage was supplemented by members of several more local bands: Damon & The Sh!tkickers, Velvet Caravan, The Accomplices, and Jon Lee's Apparitions. Bravo, y'all!
The encore song tonight was a tribute to a local jazz man, Ben Tucker. They performed his song, "Coming Home Baby", as a ten-minute tribute to the late bass player.
One of the highlights, for me especially, came after the intermission. Tony Coleman, the drummer for B.B. King for almost four decades, guested at this concert tonight. Incredible! He graced us with a perennial, world-wide favorite, "The Thrill Is Gone". No, it isn't gone, my friends! I can't say that it ever will be, either, not as long as people love grooving to the blues. Let me leave you with this quote from Ray Lundy, one of the local musicians celebrating the blues on stage tonight.

"Blues music is not for some sad trip; it's really a dance music that is made to help people forget about their problems."

I intend to dance as often as possible!

No comments: