Friday, June 12, 2015

guidestones and a gazebo


Home again!
Morgan and I had hugged our goodbyes before 10 AM and we were off, her to Hiram, me to Savannah.
I told Nuvi, "lead the way!"
And so she did, taking me down Whitewater Road, briefly (less than two miles) on I-85S, then to a series of less traveled roads: 11, 77, 17, and 1. Let me tell you, I really liked GA-1! Sweet little four-lane with almost no traffic on it! I'll look for it around Exit 90 on I-16.


Just before the I-85S interchange, I spotted a local place and pulled in for an early lunch.
The Gazebo Restaurant, in Fair Play, SC, was a real find!
Fast, friendly, and I even got a hug!
How about that,
sports fans!
(smile)
As it was Friday, there was a Fried Flounder Special, so that's what I ordered.
For less than $9, it came with three excellent pieces of fish, coleslaw, fries, and even a drink!
I had the fresh lemonade - and a refill for the trip.
Thanks for the hospitality, y'all!
Back on the road again, I reveled in the blue skies and straight expanses of highway. Woohoo! No more dancing close and tight on curving, swaying, twisting, swerving mountain roads!
It's fun for a while, of course, but there's no way to enjoy the view when you're held that tightly, you know?
As the song says, "hold on loosely, but don't let go."
(smile!)

So, there I was, enjoying riding up and down a gently rolling landscape, when I espied a small sign that read "Georgia Guidestones", with an arrow pointing left.
Hey!
Isn't that
the site
NK! visited
last year
and I missed
the trip?
Might as well
make a U-turn
and catch it
now, right?
Yep, I agree!
I'm glad I did, too.
The eight sides of
the four directionally-aligned slabs
contain the
same message,
in eight different languages
,
including English.
How fortuitous
that I stumble upon
this structure after
my trip to the Nature Center in NC!
"Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature."
That tenth guide
"to an age of reason"
really resonated with me.
Didn't Agent Smith state the same thing?
(smile)
If you happen to be cruising on GA-77, I recommend you visit it.
This is its 35th anniversary.

1 comment:

Christa El Dorado! said...

June 16 at 11:28pm

Aren't they cool?