Wednesday, May 27, 2015

birthday film festival at cinematique!


Goodness, I've been busy!
I just realized that I had not written of the film festival thrown for me by the little place I like in Daytona Beach. How remiss of me!
On this pre-birthday trip over Memorial Day weekend, I was so fortunate with my timing! I had purposely arrived in time on this past Thursday to catch the Science Cafe at Cinematique. In my many travels to the area, I had yet to catch the science-based film and discussion, but that all changed this time around!
The film was an older one, "400 Years of the Telescope", hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Very nice history lesson on scientific instrumentation for scanning the heavens, very nice indeed.
But the discussion after was fabulous! Dr. Jason Aufdenburg, a physics professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, was there to lead the Q&A session. He was so excited to be sharing his knowledge - it was contagious! He fielded all manner of questions, from those about the school's research telescope to the planetarium at MOAS to the latest happenings at NASA. Wow!!!
I stayed for the evening film, "Ride". Written, directed by, and starring Helen Hunt, I had looked forward to this tale of a woman connecting with her grown son. Although the story was good, I was distracted by her featureless face throughout most of the film. Was she botoxed?? Not until the end of the film was her appearance back to normal.
Late the next afternoon, I was back at Cinematique for "Adult Beginners". I had not heard of it, so it was completely new to me. Yeah! And I liked this story of a dot-commer who crashes and becomes a nanny for his sister. The swimming lessons? Well, you will have to see that for yourself.
(smile)
No more movies until Saturday, though. Had to go to that Daytona Tortugas game on Military Appreciation Night - free game for me!
On Saturday, though, I ended up at two movies there. I had planned on seeing "Iris", about quirky old lady Iris Apfel. Somehow, this sweet old thing has become a fashion darling! I think Mama and Grandmama would have enjoyed it, perhaps as much as "Dior and I", which I saw a few weeks ago. Fashion, clothes, accessories!
(smile)
The second movie of the day, and the fifth of this birthday film festival, was a jewel that belonged in the Psychotronic Film Society's crown. "Kung Fu Elliott" was a documentary about Elliott Scott of Canada, self-proclaimed master of the martial arts in that country. This was part of the "Late and Local" series at this cinema, a series which features movies that are a bit off-kilter. This movie definitely qualified!
I had not originally planned to take in that last one, but the bandshell concert got rained out. Good thing I had a Plan B!
What a fitting finish to a birthday trip to Daytona!

No comments: