Wednesday, October 7, 2015

weird science with pfs!


If "The Mutations", aka "The Freakmaker", had been made just a decade later, it's title song could well have been Oingo Boingo's tune about a mad scientist. Then again, perhaps this movie served as the inspiration behind the song? Maybe!
Today marked just a week after the film's debut thirty-one years ago.
That is not the reason it was scheduled for tonight.
Nope.
Jim Reed did so to commemorate what would have been the 96th birthday of its star, Donald Pleasance. The film was shown as part of his Psychotronic Film Society of Savannah's Wednesday night screenings at the Sentient Bean.
I was actually able to come because this was a "No Lab" night, amazingly enough. Woohoo!!!
Why would I want to come to a mid-1970's horror movie?
For Tom Baker, of course!
In my eyes, he is THE Doctor Who. After he left that show in 1981, I quit watching it.
Seriously.
In this science fiction flick, he was Lynch, the malformed assistant to Professor Nolter and erstwhile circus oddity, "the ugliest man on Earth". Sadly, that meant he was nearly unrecognizable in the stage make-up.
But I could still revel in the sound of his voice and the glint in his eyes and the sight of his trenchcoat-clad 6'3" frame.
Very nice!
Even nicer, I was able to hang out with some of my friends during and after the film! Joe B and Mike R left right after the room had been transformed from a cinema to a coffee shop. But I was able to join Jim and Amanda K, Carolyn, Axelle K, Will, Ken, and Shell (Jim's intern) at Betty Bombers for a bite or two.
No, no one morphed into a Venus flytrap person!
(smile)
On Friday, I'll be going to a free screening of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" at the Lucas. How so "free"? Because I won two passes in the pre-movie raffle tonight! How about them apples? I've invited Mike Rendeiro to join me, as I haven't seen him in ages. Once upon a time, we saw it other fairly regularly at these Wednesday screenings. We had also gotten together for dinner a time or two, so I had learned that he was Portuguese, loved grilled mackerel at the buffet, and had once thought his folks had misspelled their last name.
Kids are funny, aren't they? I'm going to share with him this new link, which features the phrase "feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbor". Lord, I am so blessed to have English as my native tongue! I can only imagine how hard it is to learn, with all the exceptions to how letters are pronounced.
Seriously!
On Thursday, I'll be going to the Lucas for "Life of Brian", one of my favorites! Ken won two passes for it, so I'll see him there.
Yes, I'll have free access to that movie, as well as the one on Friday, through my ushering position at the Theatre. However, as well as letting Mike in on a pass, I can also share the wealth with Mindy, my baseball-loving Lunch Lady!
You know me... I'm all about sharing the wealth!

In fact, I shared this tonight with Amanda.
She spent the summer bopping around to various mini-golf sites, filming a documentary.
I also told her about Lake Winnie and the mini-golf course there. She's now planning a quick trip to take it in, too!
Now, I'm walking away from the computer...
g'night, y'all!

No comments: