Friday, October 23, 2015

bollywood and a double time warp!


I so miss the twin towers of the World Trade Center.
What joy to see them again, newly built in 1974!
I had the great pleasure of going to the Top of The World Observation Decks of the South Tower, and feeling the gentle sway of the building beneath me. The two decks, one inside and one on top of the structure, were on teh 107th and 110th floors, respectively. For a girl from the flat marshes of Savannah, being that high was like climbing a mountain!
The time was February of 1981. I and my boyfriend, Russ, from Springfield, Massachusetts, were visiting his sister in New York City before heading to Gray Rocks Inn for snow skiing in Quebec. This was our last trip together. We were saying our farewells in grand style before we each headed to different duty stations in the Navy.
I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was 22 years old.
That was thirty-five years ago.
The Twin Towers have been gone for fourteen years.
As I said, what a joy to see them again in "The Walk"!
I even recall the news of the French man who had walked on a wire between the North and South Towers, even though the construction was not yet complete. I didn't recall much else of the story, though. I was in the tenth grade and more interested in marine science, Spanish, singing with Mama, and dancing.
Amazingly, Philippe Petit, the man who accomplished 'le coup' just before his 25th birthday, is still alive and well! He even taught Joseph Gordon-Levitt, the actor who portrays him, how to walk a wire. To the actor's credit, he did so in only eight weeks! He also mastered the French accent quite convincingly. Honestly, I had trouble remembering he was the "old one" from "Third Rock From The Sun"! Excellent work, sir!
I am so glad I chose to go to that movie!

You see, I was in Pooler for my Bollywood fix.
It's been too long since I had an Indian musical in my life! I would like to see one every month, or at least every other month, but sometimes I don't know they're playing.
To remedy that problem, I've recently joined the Royal's notification list for such films.
Earlier this week, I was contacted by those kind folks with happy news. "Shaandaar" would begin an entire week of screenings on Friday!
Hooray! Today was that Friday!
I feel like I should break out in song about it!
(smile!)
I chose to use the above photo, rather than the movie poster, because this photo speaks to the romantic story line. You see, the young woman suffers from insomnia and cannot go to sleep until she meets her Prince Charming. Likewise, the young man also wrestles with insomnia as he seeks his Sleeping Beauty. Very nice!
The movie is primarily about an arranged wedding between Sleeping Beauty's 'sister' and the 'eight and a half'-pack bodybuilding son of a wealthy family, with Prince Charming serving as the wedding planner. Throw in the surly, overbearing grande dame of one family and the gun-happy, hipster patriarch of the other for a delightful comedy! The only thing which could make it better would be impromptu singing and dancing... and that makes it superb!
I'm hoping to catch it one more time before Thursday rolls around!

As if all of that
wasn't enough,
I then bopped downtown
for "Richard O'Brien's
The Rocky Horror Show
"
by the Bay Street Theatre.
Oh, yes, I did!
I even grabbed Sandy
so she could ride along!
(Hey, it was the least
I could do,
since going tonight
was her suggestion!)
Doesn't Dan Finn
look marvelous
in fishnet stockings
and a boa?
Positively yummy!
Brad and Janet
look so innocent,
don't they?
Bwah ha ha!!!
But just wait
until Frankenfurter
gets his hands -
and other body parts! -
on them!
Bwah ha ha!!!
JinHi Soucy Rand
did a fabulous job
of recruiting these
folks and fashioning
an alien take-over
right here at Club One!
Kudos to all!

And let this timely comic strip remind us that aliens aren't the only scary ones out there...
Bwah ha ha!!!

No comments: