Sunday, October 18, 2015

ballroom belles and headless horsemen



Ah, to dip and sway and twirl in such a dress!
'Twould be magnifique, n'est-ce pas?
I honestly cannot recall the name of the artist or the title of the piece. However, I remember quite well where this headless beauty was and when I saw her.
This Oriental-inspired flamenco dancer swept into my life in March of last year. I had gone to a play about a couple learning to ballroom dance. (I would eventually attend "Syncopation" twice, I was so taken with it!) This fancy belle was in the center of the lobby in an art show of reclaimed articles, there at S.P.A.C.E. (Sannah's Place for Art, Culture, and Education).
I have no idea where she may now be.
If you see her, please tell her hello for me.
Thanks!

Why is she brought to mind after so much time?
Well, Thursday I was ballroom dancing and this afternoon I saw a headless entity astride a horse! Of course this lovely lass sprang to mind!
I'm glad I still had the photo of her!

Let's begin with Thursday evening, shall we?
(smile)
Savannah Social's meetup was at the Savannah Ballroom Dance Studio... and featured a free dance lesson!
Seriously!
So of course I went!
The dance lesson taught us two basic steps. The first was the rhumba, which I knew as the box step. As the girl, I was to step back on my right foot, slide to the left with my left foot, bring my right foot beside my left, step forward with my left, slide to the right with my right foot, and end with my left foot beside my right foot. Repeat the four-step sequence until the music stops.
Yikes! I was doing far too much leading off with my right foot, causing my partner and I to be off-step. Poor Nino! I think he is one of the trainers there, but he was no match for me!
(smile)
I did much better with the second part of the dance lesson. This time, it was the swing, which is essentially disco with no twirls. As the girl, I would step my right foot to the side, then swivel my hips as I swung my right foot behind me, tapping my toe to the floor, then swivel back as my right foot was returned to its starting position by my left foot. Again, repeat until the music ends.
This time, I danced with one of the other newcomers, Michael. He's closer to my age, so when I mentioned 'disco,' he knew exactly what I meant. That was fun!
Then the professionals took the floor, to inspire us to sign up for lessons. Ah! What grace, what style! Truly!
But I think I will stick with my free-form moves.
(smile)

Today, the matinee performance of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" was my destination. This fast-paced telling of the classic tale included the singing of the theme song of the Daniel Boone tv show.
Say what?!
No, seriously! Ichabod Crane, new schoolmaster to the town of Sleepy Hollow, had a penchant for the Kentucky woodsman and would break into the song when he was frightened in the scary woods at night. Nice note of levity!
The Savannah Stage Company brings the right level of creep factor to their standard minimalist setting, with constant motion to keep your attention firmly fixed. Here's the trailer for it. Great fun for kids of all ages and the time of year is perfect for the re-telling of the tale!

That reminds me... I have to remember to get pumpkins for the two carving parties next weekend... Later, y'all!

No comments: