Sunday, May 17, 2015

taken to church!


I was running late again today.
Imagine that!
This time, I was late for the May installment of the free jazz concert hosted by the CJA for its members - including me. Tony Monaco was the featured artist for this gathering at Johnny Harris Restaurant. You can see him outlined in the window, to the left, the big guy in the light-colored shirt.

Maybe this photo is better?
The man came over to the table I had snagged when I arrived.
Amazingly, the table had been empty!
It also had a severely obstructed view.
But I had it, then shared it with a couple who arrived later than me.
The husband was the one who supplied the organ for today's concert.
How fortuitous for me!
I was able to meet Tony Monaco!
Thanks, in large part, to my well-timed late arrival.
So, that's twice today that being late has worked to my benefit!
Amazing!
Tony Monaco was amazing, too. He played the most enthusiastic version of "Days Of Wine And Roses" that I have ever heard!
He also performed a blues-soaked "The Thrill Is Gone", after looking up the lyrics on his smartphone. He rendered a version on that Hammond organ that would have thrilled the late B.B. King. (Get it?)
Then he took me to church! Oh, yes, he did! Can I get an "Amen!" Amen!!!! We were all on our feet for his rousing last number, "Amazing Grace". How sweet the sound!
What a joy to watch this man perform!

And guess what?
I also had a lucky ticket!
I had arrived in time for the last song of the first set.
At the halftime raffle, I won this CD!
Just as I had in February, I happened to select a really great disc from the stack.
Isn't it colorful?
Doesn't it look fun?

No, I had never heard of the singer, Jun.
But I certainly know these songs that she covered!
This will be a great addition to my stack of driving music.
Most definitely.
Jazz I can sing along with as I'm coastin'!
(smile!)

No comments: