Saturday, May 2, 2015

take my hand, said the voice in the dark


Yesterday, my first niece's husband sent me this text, from out of the blue.

"Hey, greatest Aunt in the whole wide world. Was just wondering if u had seen the Age of Ultron movie yet? Got a few folks that are going tomorrow about 12:30."

Say what? Major coolness!
He and I have a similar taste in science fiction and Marvel, neither of which interest my niece. How very nice to be invited to hang out with him and his buddies at the movies!
Of course I responded I would!

The next day, I was running a tad late.
Hey, it's almost a family joke about me and my first niece and her mom.
I take that back - it's definitely an inside joke.
Anyway, I walk into the Big D auditorium... and into darkness. There wasn't even any light from previews on the screen to help me out. That screen was dark, too.
I waited a moment.
Still dark.
Fine, I would just try to wing it. He had said they were about three rows up, in the center. So, up the wide staircase between left orchestra and the center I went, holding the rail.
"Tina!"
Hey! That was Jason's voice! From over... where???
Soooo very dark.
Then I saw his phone screen beckon to me.
Okay, now I knew which row. I still couldn't see them, but I had the right row!
From out of the dark, a calming and deep voice bid me, "Take my hand."
And, as his hand came into view, I took it.
No questions asked.
I just accepted the offer and went where I was led...
... which was right between the man with the voice and my nephew-in-law.
Very nice start to a superhero movie.
The man with the voice was his coworker and was named Zinna or Zaina or something definitely not from around here.
I liked that foreign touch.
From references he made as we spoke, he seemed to be younger than me, but maybe not by too much.
I had a great time sitting between them.
They were both well-versed in the world of Marvel and kept sharing insights back and forth.
That was cool.
That was very cool.

I do hope to one day hear that voice again.
Meanwhile, that gets added in with all of the other imagination fodder from this afternoon.
Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Dr. Banner... and the man with the voice, saying to me, "Take my hand."

No comments: