Sunday, December 6, 2015

holiday singing and dancing, with children!


Yesterday and today were spent with happy children!
Totally fabulous!
My joyous times began with
the matinee performance of
"The Nutcracker in Savannah"!
I had been tapped to usher
at the Savannah Ballet Theatre's
annual dance and I was right there!
(Inside joke with the bfe!)
Haley had the Lucas all decked out
for the occasion, too!
There were Christmas trees in the lobby
- two of them!
Plus lots of festive statues
and knickknacks to
capture the imagination
and bring sugarplum daydreams!
SO many children all decked out
in finery, too!
Satin sashes on velvet dresses with
lace overlays and rich colors!
And that didn't include the
lovely costumes of the dancers!
The meet and greet after the show
let all have a close-up, too!
That was sah-weet!
Next up?
I dined on a heavenly ham and Swiss croissant and ginger pear tea at Cafe M,
a new casual eatery on Factor's Walk.
Yum! Such rich buttery goodness!
And, as lagniappe, the owners gave me
a cinnamon spin!
Merci beaucoup, y'all!
Why did I stay downtown?
The Lighted Christmas Parade down on
River Street, of course!
Ever since I saw the Boat Parade of Lights
last week, I knew the time had come to see this again, too!
Boy, it had grown a lot since I last went!
Lots of decorated cars, both old and new!
Even lit-up trucks and trolleys and vans!
The majorettes even tossed and twirled
glowing batons, whilst marching,
with great aplomb, no less!
Not that I envied them their
sparkly, glittering costumes -
it was quite chilly tonight!
After passing time with a woman
visiting from Rhode Island,
I headed back to the Lucas.
Ann Meyer and I were again there
to help usher the evening performance
of "The Nutcracker in Savannah",
at Haley's request.
Even her folks had been called to help!
We had a prime view
up in the balcony
of this lovely Russian dancer...
and that woman
he was twirling.
(smile!)
Sweet dreams for me, ooh la la!
Today, more fun with children!
The matinee performance of the Savannah Childrens' Theatre's
"A Charlie Brown Christmas" gave me a nice break from writing the Final Exam.
Hallelujah!!!


As an unexpected surprise, I was joined by Cedric! One of the students he tutors had the lead role, so the Brit was there for support.
Sah-weet! He had a tasty beverage from the hot cocoa bar, I had a candy cane, and we sat and talked while we enjoyed the treats. Then we both went to the crafts area and decorated our own sugar cookies!
What great pre-show fun!
As good fortune would have it, we sat in the front row! I was able to lip-sync to the songs without distracting anyone else - hooray! Of course I know all of the songs - I've been watching the movie since I was in grade school, when it first came out.
Yep, I'm that old! I have been watching it for the 50 years since it first aired on television! In fact, I saw it last week when it made its annual appearance!
My favorite part?
Linus' soliloquy.
Always. Always make me cry a little, as it did today.
My favorite parts of the play today?
The crazy dance scenes! The enthusiasm of the kid playing Snoopy! And singing carols with the cast after the show! And sharing this with the dearest chemist I know!

After, off to the school I went.
Why?
I wanted to print and make copies of the two versions of my twelve-page Final Exam. The new office printer is s_l_o_w. I decided to go out there while I would have plenty of time to wait for it to do its thing.
That worked out perfectly! I was even able to get in the building without having to call the cops!

Afterward, it was off to another
Christmas play!
Savannah Christian, out by my twin great-nieces, was running "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever", for only $5! Count me in for that!
That was the best deal in town for a fin!
Gladys, the youngest of the rambunctious Herdman clan, is the cover star.
She plays 'the Angel of the Lord" with great panache and was adorable!
Hilarious! I loved when she said "get up there, you stupid shepherds!"
But the most touching transformation was that of the oldest girl, Imogene.
She volunteered to play Mary, knowing it was the lead, then cast the rest of her family in the choice roles of Joseph and the (wise-cracking) Wise Men.
By the time the play opens, they have added a rollicking gospel musical number that captures the audience!
The six "problem" kids have "gotten" the message, after all... and so did the church members.
Amen, y'all!
Amen!

No comments: