Friday, December 4, 2015

a new tree, a fashion reception, and steve martin's underpants!


Yet another glorious day!
Early this afternoon,
Linda Bleicken and
her dear husband
gave the arboretum
a new tree.
This one was a young
swamp white oak,
and it was already
about 15 feet tall.
They planted it
in the front part
of Armstrong's campus,
for all driving past
on Abercorn to see.
It joins several other oaks, of different type, in that space.
Nice!
I talked with Mr. Bleicken about oaks as we returned to Burnett Hall for one more piece of business before digging into treats!
(Warning: pun zone!)
(smile)
The Marines had landed to collect the boxes of Toys For Tots gathered
at Armstrong!
Hooray!
The young man here was in charge and had some very lovely things to say about our generosity.
Hooray!
He had some very lovely things to say about Okinawa, too!
That had been his last duty station before coming to this area.
We shared a table as we ate shrimp and dijon cocktail wienies and fancy sugar cookies and talked of duty stations and changes.
Loved it!

Later in the afternoon,
I attended the reception
for the fashTECH Project!
A fast-track design seminar
(get it?)
to incorporate LED technology
with upcycled (i.e., used) clothing,
twenty high school girls
were part of STEAM groups
to create wearable art.
Their designs were so varied!
Incredible!
This space-age gown with
subtle lighting
is certainly elegant enough
for a night at the opera!
Then there was
this flashy
- I do mean,
literally flashy! -
number for lighting up
a dance floor!
The hand-dyed, two-tone
gauze overskirt was
meant to be worn
while twirling!
The jewelry, with its
Sagitarrius style,
would have won Mama's approval, I do believe!
As much as I liked the Vegas showgirl costume, with its white plumes and jeweled insets,
and as much as I liked the asymmetrical dance dress with the neon green highlights,
this fantasy piece won my heart the moment I first saw it.
You know it!
Fairy warrior grrls rock!!!


The best part of this exhibit?
You know, besides the beams of love flashing all around the room from the proud parents?
(smile)
The works will be part of the PULSE Art + Technology Festival in January!
One of my favorite events!
At the Jepson, one of my favorite places!
WOW! I am so glad they get a grand showing in the Savannah community!
I hope that will inspire other girls to seek out the project for future years!

After all of this free entertainment and food, I was off to Muse Arts Warehouse for more of the same!
Collective Face had their second show of the season and tonight was opening night!
Hooray!
Free champagne and edible goodies from Joe's Homemade! I do so enjoy their foodie creations!
But first... Steve Martin's underpants!
Well, technically, that should read "The Underpants"... but I like my way better and have gotten a lot of attention with it!
How incredibly funny!!!
The play was an adaptation of a 1910 German play by Carl Sternheim.
During a welcoming parade for the king, Wilhelm II, a woman's underpants suddenly fall down!
The act was noticed with chagrin by her pencil-pushing husband and with great interest by several men in the area.

Hilarity ensued, of course!
Kudos to Justin Kent for really researching his role! Apparently, the king had a withered left arm and Justin included a wildly flailing appendage in his portrayal of the man. Marvelous! History fans will be thrilled at the inclusion of that bit of realism!
Barbara and Sandy had joined me for the show and we were even able to sit together! As a season ticket holder with Collective Face, I had called in with my seat request a few days earlier. My friends had decided early on Friday to join me, but no worries! A couple even slid down one seat so we three amigas could sit with each other. Very nice!
We weren't quite ready for home after the gales of laughter and the post-show hobnobbing... oh, no! What to do?
Got to Bonefish for a taste of something sweet! They had the coconut pie - quite delish! Not me! One look at the menu and I had opted for the ceviche! Yes, oh, yes!!!
Such a fabulous Friday it has been!

No comments: