Friday, December 11, 2015

gold bars and ugly sweaters!


Chalk one up for the good guys!
Arthur Toussaint Jones IV was transformed from a Cadet to a Lieutenant today...and I had the good fortune to be there for the pinning of the gold bars onto his uniform. Hooray!
That pinning was done by his grandparents, parents, and siblings.
Then, for the Silver Dollar Presentation, his dad came up to give him his first salute as an officer. Arthur gave him, an NCO (non-commissioned officer) retired from the US Army, the silver dollar, to never be spent but to keep in case a favor is ever needed from the new officer.
Pretty cool tradition!
I sat with his maternal grandparents at the following reception and we had quite a nice chat! I made sure his whole family knew what a caring student he had been, even helping another ROTC cadet pass the class. That was quite a feat, as she had been failing at midterm!
The most unusual event at this ceremony?
The other cadet receiving her commission was openly lesbian.
The one who gave her the first salute? Her wife.
Best of all?
No one got up and left. No one protested.
No one even batted an eyelash about it.
Folks took photos and gave applause just as they had for Arthur.
We've come a long way, baby!

After the reception, I stayed at the school and took care of some paperwork. I also blogged a bit, finishing up some drafts and publishing them.
No need to go home as I had a Christmas party in 'North Florida' at 7 PM!

Yes, indeed, time once more for the Annual Ugly Christmas Sweater and Naughty Santa Party in Georgetown!
Last year, I wore a black sweatshirt with a Velcro message: UGLY SWEATER!
Guess what? I even won a prize for it!!!
Creativity gets you bonus points with Dawn, that hostess with the mostest!

This year, I decided to go more toward the Beastie Boys side of life.
Why?
Because... you gotta fight...
for your right...
to paarrrr-Taayyy!

No prize for the design, but that's okay.
No one leaves her house empty-handed!
I didn't bring any cookies, but I sure came home with a pile of 'em!
Plus a coloring book and crayon set from the gift swap!
And a bag of candy!
Thanks, Dawn!

Many thanks, also, for the heads up again.
For this party, she had texted me on November 10th.

her: What do you think of a cookie swap/ugly xmas sweater party on Saturday, December 12?
me: I know i have a big 5-0 party for my friend Lauri that night.
her: Gotcha, it's like the only date that works with my crazy schedule.
me: Heard. This time of year is pretty hectic every weekend.
her: Think I'm gonna do on the 11th.
me: I think i can do that!
her: OK, save the date then. It's officially going to be Friday December 11. Start time 730-ish.
me: Yeah! Thanks, you're the best!

She really is a fabulous chick!
Now, to look forward to the Soup Party at her place on January 23rd!
Guess how I know?
(smile!)

No comments: