Monday, January 12, 2015

three generations of chemists!


Woohoo!
There we all were, as we are wont to be, on a Monday evening. Cedric and Connie quaffing their beers, me helping them to demolish a never-ending supply of chips and salsa and chatting nonstop.
We were at Chili's, following a long-standing tradition of continuing the Philo Cafe discussion. I've been part of the group since 2007.
I even sometimes make it to the philosophy group meetings these days, though that time coincides with those of the Odd Lot improv. Plus, it's a tight call to make it all the way downtown for a 7:30 PM meeting when my southside lecture at the university isn't done until 7:15 PM.
But I do try to come to the after-discussion time of sharing whenever I can.
Tonight, I definitely needed to be here! I had a very stressful morning, as if Mondays are not already that way. Today was also the first day of classes, so I had to shake off the bad vibes from the west coast and get my head and face ready to welcome my students.
About thirty minutes before class met, I was finally successful at making like Taylor Swift. Whew!
After class, I met with some of my transfer students. Good to have done so, but that meant I missed the philosophy meeting and the improv. No problem! I just went ahead to Chili's and had a leisurely dinner, texting with the ex as I did so.
Then, Connie Farrer, my former high school chemistry teacher, arrived! The first thing she did was grab the chips and salsa and my beer and transfer them over to the larger table where the group usually sits. Then Cedric Stratton, my former chemistry professor from my days at Armstrong State College, joined us. He was followed in short shrift by Panda Ann and her two grown kids, Daniel and Olivia, who all participate in the Philo Cafe talks. Very nice!
And it occurred to me, as time passed, that I didn't have a photo of we three chemistry nerds.
Say what?
So, immediately, I set about rectifying that situation. Olivia was very sweet and snapped the above photograph, as well as two others. She did a fine job, didn't she?
We all had a fine time, too!
What a great end to a Monday!

No comments: