Friday, January 2, 2015

Grammy and Annie


Today, I returned home from Florida, safe and sound.
I sent the following text to my first niece, Christina.

You + Me = Annie?

She responded in the affirmative and off we went to the last show of the evening.
She had made me promise to see the movie with her, before it even came out, when we had seen the first previews of it.
I had not realized how much the movie meant to her until I was sitting beside her in the darkened cinema.
She knew the story by heart.
She even knew when they had changed the words to some of the songs.
She especially knew when new songs had been added.
As she told me, sitting in our private screening (we were the only ones there), she and my mother had watched the 1982 version over and over, singing along with Carol Burnett and company.
I just sat there and cried, watching her sing now, to this version of the movie, with me.
How wonderful that she had such great memories of times spent with her Grammy!
I felt that Mama was right there with us, smiling.

Such a great evening...

No comments: