Sunday, April 19, 2015

the music of the night



Tonight was my first time ushering for the Savannah Philharmonic at the Lucas Theatre.
I felt like I had hit the big time. I was especially careful in my hair styling, my choice of white top, my shoes for the evening.
Let me tell you: this is regarded as a prime assignment. Shea Caruso, the House Manager, is very careful to be fair in selecting the volunteers for the symphony presentations.
I am so blessed she selected me!
I had so very much wanted to attend "Lights, Camera... Music!"!
Broadway music and film soundtracks, played by a full orchestra - of course I would want to be there!
Such a wonderful show, too!
Even though I found myself beset by tears during the violin solo. It was the song from "Schindler's List". I hadn't known what it was, just that it was done so soulfully that it plucked my heart.
I was also very moved by the title song from "Cinema Paradiso". I had thought I saw the movie down in Panama, but it would actually have been during my first years as a graduate student in Tallahassee. I saw many foreign films during that time, thanks to the arthouse cinema at Tallahassee Mall on Monroe Street.
Back to the show tonight! Songs from "Oliver!" started the show with a bang! Then there was the medley from "My Fair Lady", bringing memories of Saturday afternoons watching old movies with Mama - heaven!
There was even a more modern song, "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked" - nicely sung by a guest soprano!
After a brief intermission, we had the music of "Star Wars" blasting out of the cosmos! Nice timing!
And, at the end of the evening, after the theme from "Chariots of Fire"? Why, a collection of James Bond theme songs!!! How very good to hear those again!
We even had an encore, featuring "Rocky"!
Of course! How appropriate!
I went home on dancing feet, held to Earth with the help of four large bottles of red wine.
A full bottle of Merlot, two almost full bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon, and about half a bottle of Pinot Noir.
They had all been opened and would have been poured out, you see.
I had been asked if I liked red wine.
I had no idea my affirmative response would be so rewarded!
Time to share the largesse!
But with who?
With Boo, of course!
She responded with a "I'm on my way" when I made the offer.
Together, we finished off the bottle of Pinot while watching a cute New Zealand film called "Kiwi Flyer". (On tv's Channel 240, it was titled "Derby Dogs", I guess to make it more palatable to us Americans. Good thing I looked it up and saw it was a foreign film!)
Now, the movie about a boy and his gravity dragracer is over, it's past 2 AM, and Barbara has taken her bottle of Merlot southside with her.
Me? I'm taking myself to bed, thanks.
Tomorrow, I guess I need to start planning a dinner party for those Cabernets...

No comments: