Sunday, April 12, 2015

news can cook!


LOL!
No, news cannot cook! But that's how I interpreted the show's website when I first saw it flashed on the television screen.
I had just watched a show with this dryly witty young man in the bowels of hell, cooking bare-handed in icy weather, outside. I had made a note of the website, then gone to bed.
Periodically, I would catch the show, always very late at night or very early in the morning, depending on your perspective.
The fellow would crack me up! For example, he was on a boat, on an icy-cold day, and he had just finished cooking something. Next, he made a hot cider-type drink. After the first sip, he said, "makes me feel almost human again."
I completely understood.
Being cold is absolutely the pits.
Being outside and cold is just hell.
Anyhow... tonight, I happened to tune in and he's cooking in a volcano.
I kid you not.
I was fascinated. I watched the entire episode, even taking a photo at one point when he was cooking vegetables in the runoff from a geyser.
I swear, I kid you not.

Afterward, I decided to actually visit the website.
That's when I discovered it isn't "news can cook", some travelogue documentary.
Oh, no.
It's "new Scandinavian cooking", complete with recipes! It's a cooking show designed to entice you to cross the Atlantic Ocean for these foods with novel ingredients!
Andreas Viestad is the young man. He is a world-renowned chef and food writer. His style actually reminds me of Alton Brown, if that particular chef had a bit more snark in him. With both men, I get not only interesting recipes, but also fascinating stories about the history of the spices or the medicinal use of the herbs or all manner of stuff in that vein.
It isn't just meal preparation - it's science.
"New Scandinavian Cooking" is now in its eleventh season. The show I just watched, with Andreas cooking in volcanoes and geysers, is the fifth episode of season ten. The title? "Mighty Volcanic Oven", aptly enough. He cooked lamb and fish and carrots and even broccoli, placing the last on a length of rope and dipping it, as it was, directly into geyser runoff for about one hot minute.
Literally.
(smile!)
Alrighty then. To bed I go!
G'night!

No comments: