Wednesday, April 1, 2015

choro me um rio


Oh, for sure! Cry me a river of this lively, upbeat music!
What a grand way to start the day!
This noon30 featured Mike Marshall and Choro Famoso, laying down some instrumental happiness at the Morris Center. Bravo!!!
Not familiar with choro? Neither was I, so I looked it up. The word means "cry" or "lament" and the music consists mostly of ballads...but not, apparently, sad ballads, like the Justin Timberlake song.
No, no, no.
The music today featured only bright and lively tunes, salsa moderated with a mandolin! It was totally instrumental, too - no vocals. I liked that!
I don't know why Mike Marshall, the banjo player, received separate billing from the other guys in Choro Famoso. All of them are Norte Americanos, not of Brazil, the country of origin of this type of music for better than a century. However, Andy Connell (clarinet), Colin Walker (seven-string guitar), and Brian Rice (pandeiro) are completely committed to sharing this rhythmic sound with the people of the world - including right here in Savannah!
I very much liked "Sete Estrelas" (Seven Stars), "Sonhando" (Dreaming), and their final song, "Bole Bole". That last one reminded me so much of "All Of Me", both the song and the movie. When I said as much to the tech guys, they agreed!
By the way, the only percussion instrument was that pandeiro, which is deceptive in its appearance. It looks like a tambourine, but is actually a hand drum. Brian can lay down a wall of sound with it, too! Well, maybe not a high wall, but you catch my drift. That seventh string on the guitar allows Colin to provide some bass lines for Andy's trilling clarinet. All in all, a performance I would like to see again - beautiful!!!
Off I fly to the southside!

No comments: