Wednesday, December 9, 2015

water pump film festival


Now, then, don't go getting crazy ideas.
None of the four movies viewed in this personal film festival featured automotive water pumps in any way.
It all started yesterday.
I had taken the Saturn to Dixie Motors for an oil change, as it was about that time. But, more vital, I wanted them to find the coolant leak so I didn't have to keep pouring in a quart or so of Dex-Cool orange drink into my car every other day.
I had Lab Final Exams to keep me occupied until movie time.
After all, it was Tightwad Tuesday and the movies would be just $6 all day long! I had already scoped out the schedule, too.
And guess what?
I even finished grading all of the Final Exams! I had started grading with Peppermint Mocha Americano, with almond milk, and a slice of gingerbread loaf, free from my Starbucks girt card. By the time the third film began, I was d-o-n-e, done!!!
The first movie was the latest from the zany folks at PIXAR. Included was... "Sanjay's Super Team"!!! How super-cool to see it again!
Bob Peterson's "The Good Dinosaur" was not the usual tale of the big guys. Brontosaurs that farmed corn? Tyrannosaurus Rex cattle ranchers? Humans descended from wolves? Definitely outside the box! Even outside the Kid Pack box!
(smile)
Before going into the next movie, I checked with the mechanic. All done?
Sadly, no. They would have to wait until the next day to discern the cause of the coolant leak. Could I leave the car overnight or would I prefer to bring it back when they opened at SEVEN AM?
Drats. We know the answer to that one!
Now, how was I to get home again?
How to lure someone to meet me at the cinema?
My best bet was to save the Spike Lee film for later, then. No trivia, so Barbara said she would join me for the 7:20 PM screening.
She appreciated my subterfuge, too.
(smile)
So, that meant "The Night Before" was next up. The only ace in the hole it held was Joseph Gordon-Levitt. If not for him, and my high regard for his acting, I would have given this movie a pass. Three guys in search of the ultimate drunk party?
No, thanks, I've seen my share and then some!
But that wasn't the real story at all. It was about grown-up male friendship, faults and all. It was about men holding each other accountable, and still holding fast to each other.
And Miley Cyrus even had a pretty good role in it!
Afterward, back to grading! I finished the last question of the last six students as Barbara came up. What joy to be done with that task! What great timing on her part!
Time for a little "Chi-Raq" with Samuel L. Jackson, John Cusack, Angela Bassett, D.B. Sweeney, and Wesley Snipes!!! Quite a bit of fire-power for this timely remake of Aristophanes' "Lysistrata" - a play that's almost 2400 years old. I have no idea how Spike Lee learned of the work, but kudos to him!
Kudos to the folks in charge at the Victory Square 9 for screening this film. They are THE ONLY CINEMA IN TOWN SHOWING THIS FILM.
Let's hope the womenfolks, the murderers, and those in charge in Chicago, ILL, take heed.
There certainly weren't any 'bangers, shorties, or politicos in attendance with us.
Me? I think only the choirmembers will be singing along.
As I wrote in the sands of my beach, I'm going to sing its praises to all who stand still long enough and all who wander to my piece of ethernet.
Hallelujah!
Barbara and I sat in her car talking for an hour after the film.

The next day, the news came in from the mechanic. $303 would plug the coolant leak. A bad water pump was the culprit.
Drats.
My first niece was able to return me to my car after the repairs were completed.
I needed some free entertainment to take my mind off my water pump woes and bring a smile to my blue eyes!
Then I remembered!
The PFS was having a birthday tribute at the Sentient Bean... and I had a golden ticket!
(Well, yellow, actually. It was one of my two remaining discount tickets purchased early in the year from Jim.)
The movie had been billed as a 'mystery' screening, with its identity to be revealed only moments before it began. What fun those are!
Honestly, though, the main reason I went was so I could tell my ex what the movie was! He's the big fan of John Elroy Sanford, not me.
What gem had Jim unearthed this time?
Well, in memory of what would have been Redd Foxx's 93rd birthday on this very day, the 1976 play-cum-film, "Norman, Is That You?" was screened tonight. Oh, my! I sure did enjoy this comedy of errors! The father, seeking emotional asylum from his wife, who is cheating with his best friend, shows up unexpectedly at the apartment of his son, a window-dresser by day and homosexual at all times. The dad, a truly funny Foxx, is shocked at the news! He tries to set up his son, then his son's boyfriend, with an attractive hooker - very funny!
What an excellent note on which to end my film festival!
Nice sweater, Carolyn!
(smile!)

No comments: