Thursday, November 5, 2015

diamond animation!


How cool was this?
From the 18th Annual Savannah Film Festival, I've now indulged in the 17th Annual Ron Diamond's Animation Show of Shows!
The latter, like the former, was brought to town by SCAD. Unlike the former, the latter was specifically brought by the SCAD Animation department.
Makes no never mind to me how it got here! I was just glad to be there!
Best of all, it was free!
Not that the cost was a factor. I was an usher at the Lucas tonight, so I would have been in on the show anyway. Hooray!
Ron Diamond is actually a businessman. For the past 16 years, he has held insider screenings of the "best" animation from various film festivals. "Best" to him is defined as those using innovative techniques to tell a story, with an eye toward commercial use, i.e., inspiration of the industry moguls of animation, like Disney and Pixar.
Quite savvy!
In many ways, it reminded me of those guys with the Found Footage Festival. I've gone to at least two of their screenings, most recently with the bfe, but earlier on my own.
Like them, Diamond also was selling collections on DVD from earlier shows. I didn't buy any, though. Not to say I didn't enjoy the show tonight - oh, no! That was a treat!
But he didn't have that DVD for sale yet.
That'll be available next year.

So, here's the list of shorts shown, more or less.

En Sortant de l'ecole
I only caught a small bit of this, as I was ushering and folks kept arriving late. Sheesh! Good thing I was able to watch the whole thing on Vimeo! Good work, Lily Poppins, and nice music, too!

The Ballad of Holland Island House
Definitely one of my favorites! Delightful tale of a house, from the point of view of a tree used in its construction.

Behind The Trees
Based on a voice memo bewteen a woman and her husband, a voice memo unearthed several years later, this sketch can be seen in its entirety at the link. Entertaining!

Yul et le Serpent
This is what you get when redneck bullies go out to the desert. The crude artwork goes well with the story.

Edmond
A man who eats everything, in stop-motion style. I do mean everything. Yikes!

Stripy
The students applauded when they saw the title, so I knew I was in for a good one! Hooray! Very beautifully drawn Iranian tale of straight black lines being replaced by curving red lines in a factory. Wonderful Hungarian dance music! Definite keeper about nonconformity and change! I fully agree with this reviewer! And there was a bonus interview with the artists afterward!

Snowfall
Nice tale from Conor Whelan about a gay man misreading signals at a party. And there was a bonus! The artist interview followed the piece!

Sanjay's Super Team - from Pixar!!!
Hahaha! Hindu gods as superheroes! Very nice! And guess what? I'll see it again when "The Good Dinosaur" comes to a multiplex near me! Hooray!

Messages dans l'air
Beautiful love story of two neighbors brought together by a cat and a goldfish! Definitely one of my favorites!

Love in the Time of March Madness
Uplifting tale (all puns intended!) of a girl too tall for her peers - and her eventual embracing of her differences. Nice interview afterward with Melissa Johnson, the artist and star of this biopic!

World of Tomorrow
Sketch art of a little girl greeted by her degenerative clone of the future. It was okay, but a bit weak to me.

That makes 11 films. There were supposed to be 12, so I guess I missed the very first of these award-winning shorts. Maybe I'll catch it at the Oscars!

No comments: