Sunday, November 8, 2015

feast of saint francis!


After the twins' birthday party, I bounced over, through the continuing rain, to Bill's party.
It would be his final Feast of Saint Francis of Assissi in Savannah.
You see, my dear artist friend is returning to California.
His brother and sister live there and, as he noted, we are all getting older. Physical closeness to family is now needed in his life.

I completely understand that.
I am so blessed to have been living in Savannah when Mama died, to have had eight years of my life shared with hers, here where I have always called 'home'.
I am so blessed to have been living in Savannah when Daddy died. I was within an hour's drive from his home in Beaufort, allowing us to share many weekends, and one last birthday, together before his cancer took him away.
I am so blessed to have been living in Savannah when my stepdad, Frank, died. He and I shared some great conversations over the years since September 28, 1984, when he and Mama wed. We continued to have discussions on random trains of thought, including Sumerian mythology, in the years since her death in 2001. I miss those talks.
I am so blessed to have been living in Savannah when my stepbrother, George, died. He always shared a joke or two with me, some bluer than others. I really liked that. (smile)

Family is important.
Bill is moving to Chico, a little town with a great and glorious park for long walks with his beloved therapy dog, Tucker. The town is within an easy drive from his sister's house in San Francisco.
The town even boasts minor-league baseball to fill his summers with joy. What a bonus!
Also, one of his best friends lives there, a best friend who has volunteered to come here, help him pack, and drive with him across the States. That's a definite bonus, too, in so many ways.
Though the party tonight was sparse, it was filled with love in the air.
Thank you, Bill, for sharing your home, and your heart, with us.
Thank you, too, for one more reason for me to venture west!

1 comment:

St. Francis of Assisi said...

Peace Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.

Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen.