Sunday, November 29, 2015

thanksgiving with cousin Bev in Augusta!


Would you look at that spread?!
What a fabulous feast!
I arrived a little late, due to traffic problems, but much of the food was still there. Hooray! Cousin Bev and her husband Allen were hosting the Thanksgiving dinner at their house and had invited me back in ... July? August? So of course I said 'YES!', as I have for several years now. Bev is such a fabulous chef and I do so enjoy the fancy touches!
Aunt Barbara and John were there, too. Hooray! And Jenny with her two kids! And Robbie! And Terrie with her hubby Mike! And Scott! And a few other folks, too!
I'm getting much better with names. I'll work on the children's names next time.
(smile)
The meal was at Bev's house. Most of them stayed with me, keeping me company while I ate three helpings of sweet potato souffle, a mound of turkey, and a bit of everything else.
Well, not the oyster dressing.
(smile)
But certainly everything else!
Then we all trooped over to Terrie and Mike's new house. It was literally down the street, up the first left, then down that first left. I bet the houses are almost lined up from one block to the next!
How very nice that they found a house so close to her parents!
Terrie gave me the grand tour of the 3500 square-foot property. Such oddly shaped rooms! What interesting ceiling angles! Incredibly spacious kitchen! And, my oh my, would you look at the drum room!!!
Mike, you see, is with LaRoxes, a rockabilly band from Augusta that's even known in Paris. Truly! I'm talkin' 'bout Paris, France, too, not Paris, Tennessee!
(That's because they plastered stickers of the band up on French walls bearing other musicians' adware. They were there for their honeymoon. Comment belle, n'est-ce pas?)
Notice the plates and serving pieces in the photo? Terrie made them for her senior art project. Made the clay formulation, designed the glazes, even built the kiln to fire it all. Amazing!
After dessert and admiration of photo albums, it was back to the Prouty's to load up and head off. Dark was coming and I wanted to at least be on a major road before night came in earnest. Allen sent me off with plenty of food and the sweet smells of sage, bay, anise, and rosemary to scent my drive.
Along the way, I was treated to "Alice's Restaurant", too! I had already heard it on the drive to Augusta and there it was again, to bookend my trip! Arlo Guthrie's classic 1967 anti-war folk song is a staple on WRHQ for Thanksgiving - thanks, y'all!

The next morning, I feasted again.
For breakfast, I heated
all of the
Brussels sprouts dish.
All of it!
My rationale was simple:
the dish contained veggies,
bacon (for protein),
and apples for (fruit).
What an ideal combination!

Later, for slunch
before my stint as usher
for "Elf" at the Lucas,
I had more delicious
leftovers from Bev's.
Her moist roasted turkey,
her amazingly good orange and pomegranate fruit cup,
and Aunt Barbara's cornbread dressing.
Minion approved meal!
(smile!)

Then it was Saturday!
My brunch was courtesy of
Aunt Barbara's cooking
- thank you so very much!
Her scrumptious sweet potato souffle, made from scratch with
fresh sweet potatoes
and topped with local pecans,
combined quite nicely
with some canned chicken,
balancing both very well!
The flamenco flamingo
from Burt's Farm
would have been
quite pretty
beside the meal.

The last meal from
the bounty in Augusta
was a late post-movie dinner tonight.
Barbara and Sandy have caught my Bollywood fever - hooray!
"Tamasha", aka "Spectacle", was about a young man who finally follows his heart's desire instead of being the person he thinks others want him to be.
Something decidedly different was called for!
I combined chicken and broth with the green bean casserole - perfect!
The green beans and artichoke hearts, sprinkled with french onion crispies and blended with the chicken flavor, was exactly what I wanted!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I forgot about the pumpkin pie!
I had taken two slices of the gluten-free pumpkin pie (as no one seemed inclined to eat it).
This morning, with the assistance of Lactaid, I had them for breakfast! Dairy (milk), protein (eggs), and veggies (pumpkin) all in each yummy slice!

Thanks, Jenny!