Wednesday, December 2, 2015

mizzou, free lunch, and furious rhee!


One of the great things about the current school administration is the openness in communication. Honestly, it's quite refreshing compared with the stifled nature of the department I am in, but you already know that.
(smile)
As I was saying, President Linda Bleicken runs a tight ship, but she encourages feedback. I'd go so far as to she demands feedback, but that seems a bit counterproductive.
Today, there was a luncheon - to draw folks in - and panel discussion about major student-driven events on other campuses. Specifically, the problems at University of Missouri were addressed.
Dr. Bleicken wanted the students here to know they have a voice. She wanted the students here to know ears were listening and minds were open to their demands.
Very postitive vibe!
I wrote the news on my beach, so I won't repeat it here.

Feeling activated, and in a mood to take on more of society's ills, I went to see "Spotlight". This was one of the 18 films at the Savannah Film Festival that I did not have a chance to see there.
(smile)
I had saved the viewing of it for a day when I felt strong and optimistic and positive.
I had known it would be hard on me.
It was.

After that dose of harsh reality, a little escapism was needed.
Fortunately, I knew the Psychotronic Film Society of Savannah had just the thing to chase away the sadness of the world.
And I knew the right people would be at the Sentient Bean to help with that.
And they were, too.
Carolyn and Ken and Teri and Will and Joe of New Jersey. Axelle and Jordan. Amanda and Jim. Even the indomitable Jin Hi!
Hooray!
Lots of hugs, lots of smiles...and a good movie, too.
What a blessing!
The movie was one I seemed to have missed in 1984. Then again, Jim said it was only released in California and only for a week or two and never reeased on dvd... I guess that explains it!
"Furious" was released as “Karate Heroes Fight Aliens For Control Of The Astral Plane". What say you? Martial arts and science fiction? Sounds like my kind of flick!
It was, too!
Lots of karate action!
Lots of young men running around topless!
There was even a topless sword artist - ooh la la! - entertaining a dinner crowd in an extended restaurant scene.
Quite nice! Carolyn noted that, too!
(smile)
But my favorite part was near the end. The two karate experts (played by bothers Simon and Phillip Rhee) are on top of a rocky crag, fighting. As they battle, an overhead camera pans around them, taking in the scenic countryside around their battle zone up in the mountains.
Absolutely awesome!

I left there rejuvenated!
Thanks y'all!
And many thanks to Jim, for searching out these lost jewels so we can enjoy their brilliance!
You rock!!!

(No puns intended - maybe!)
(smile)

No comments: