Thursday, April 23, 2015

pomp and circumstance all over the place!


The Leadership Awards ceremony was held at noon today. I made sure I was there!
Because I was getting lauded?
I wish!
Because I knew folks who were being lauded?
Not that I was aware.
I was there for the free lunch!
Well, that and the pomp and ceremony, of course. I love that stuff!
And guess what???
The fruit bowl didn't have strawberries!
Hooray!!!
Let me tell you, that is a rarity here.
I am sure it was because Nashia was one of the award recipients. Like me, she is allergic to strawberries. So, in her honor, that bit of poison was omitted from the feast.
Hooray!!!
After dining on fruit, spicy eggrolls, and other fine finger foods, it was time to whip out my baggies.
Baggies, you say?
You betcha!
I have learned to bring baggies so I can take tasty items home with me.
I loaded one up with the fresh fruit.
I loaded another up with the brownies and M&M cookies.
I even gave a bag away!
Then there was one more to be used later.
You see, the food is thrown away if it isn't eaten.
I do hate to see fruits and veggies, already washed and cut, go to waste.
They make my life!
Afterward, I had about an hour until the next event of the day.
Off to the car to offload the heavy bag of brownies!
Along the way, I smelled the roses.
So very aromatic in the warm sun!
That is such a treat, y'all.
Do be sure to try it sometime.
(smile)


I even went to the ticket office for my free ticket to the jazz concert on Tuesday. I thought I would need a ticket, too, for the upcoming Duke Ellington "116th birthday" concert, but it's free for everyone.
Most excellent!
Then back to the Student Union and the Ogeechee Theatre for the next event. As a veteran, I had been personally invited to The Department of Military Science Army ROTC Awards Recognition ceremony. I didn't have any students receiving awards, but I went anyway.
As the school photographer said, "they have really good food!"
(smile)
I can attest to that! I have attended for the past couple of years. No little sandwiches here! Oh, no! Hot food! Chicken wings, drumsticks, meatballs!
And very nice desserts, too. Pecan pie, chocolate torts, lemon curd cake!

A surprise was there, too -
my calculus instructor!
Yep!
As soon as I heard his voice,
I smiled!
Why?
Because I had enjoyed calculus at 0730?
Heck to the NO!
Because I had so enjoyed John Findeis.


The man has a wonderful sense of humor.
Honestly, if it had been anyone else teaching that course at that time in the morning, I might not have taken Calculus III. Then I would not have become a chemistry major and a chemistry teacher.
Good thing he was the professor back then in the mid-1980's!
He's 76 now, just 20 years older than me.
Next time I'm at the airport, I'll look in on him at the USO there.
Two of my former students were there, too. Arthur Toussaint Jones and Stacy Coates! Both greeted me with smiles and warm hugs - hooray! This is their last year, so it was good to see them one more time. Maybe they'll find me on facebook... I will definitely "friend" them!

Back into the sunshine again!
This time, I stopped to admire
the "land coral"
outside the Memorial College Center.
Honestly, can't you picture this
as a scene under the sea?
I can!
Maybe you're not holding your mouth
just right...
try again...
See it now?
(Just nod and say, "yes", okay?)
(smile)
I had a couple of hours to pass before the 6 PM event, so I bopped over to the Learning Commons. Fortune was with me! Several computers were available for me to while away the time.

Soon enough, the 2nd Annual Lavender Graduation was underway.
My dear friend Todd Mauldin,
better known as rock star Blair Williams,
was again the keynote speaker.
Last year, he had spoken of
daring to pursue one's dream.
Now, after more than twenty years, he has finally achieved his dream of becoming Miss Gay America!
Hooray!!!
This year, interspersed with some comedy, he again encouraged the graduates to dare to dream, whatever their dream might be.
Very nice!
Then more good munchies!
This time, it was
coconut chicken fingers
and gyoza - oh, my!
You know I took some of
those goodies home with me!
The spinach artichoke dip looked
so rich and creamy,
as did the crab dip,
but none for me, thanks.

Today was not the day for lactose in my body.
No way.
But those lovely baby asparagus spears and lightly steamed broccoli florets? Yes, please!
Those filled up my last baggie.
My former student, Jacob Boney, was there for the celebration, too. I do wish I could have seen his Beyonce impersonation at the Drag Show last Tuesday! Honestly, if I had known he would be performing, I would have arrived late to the ball game.
Hmm... but then I would have missed being with Bill and Willie.
So many good times to attend, no clones to help me go to all of them.
The dratted things keep running off and getting lost.
(smile)

No comments: