Wednesday, April 22, 2015

earth day with chip e wa of blackshear


Happy Earth Day, y'all!
The Galley went all out to celebrate! What an adorable cake! How better to mark the day than with a seaside scene in a seaport? Well done!
There was even a cut already, with a square ready to be plated, to tempt folks to take a hunk with them.

Don't want to spoil the look of the cake?
No worries!
Little bits of earthly wonder
were laid out on cupcakes,
with tiny fish
leaping into, and out of,
the ocean!
Some had sharks, too!
Even tiny islands, with sandy shores!
The cupcake I chose had
a tiny island paradise
amidst deep blue sea,
with a couple of (gold)fish
frolicking nearby.
Such delight!
The cake was very tasty,
too, and nicely moist.
(smile)
How appropriate!
No cake for you,
you say?
Well, there were
marshmallow cereal treats, too!
Even better -
they had been fashioned
into blue-green orbs.
Miniature Earths!
How very clever!


And today was Wednesday.
That meant the Chippewa from Blackshear would be taking his evening meal in the Galley, too.
What a nice bonus for me! Roast beast to eat and a fine young man at the table with me!
(smile)

What's his name?
I don't yet know.
I was just about to ask his name last week when two of my current students came by the table, to invite me to sit with them. I told them I was already dining with someone and invited them to join us.
They adjourned to an adjacent table, so one could charge her phone.
That interruption altered the dynamics at our table. Clearly, I was a professor and he was a student. We had both already established that, but now it was solidly set.
That's okay, though. We enjoyed the rest of our meal and our conversation, then he left for his criminal justice class and I was off to my office to prepare for the last lab.

Today, I had already plated my roast beast and taken photos of the Earth Day-inspired desserts. I had placed my meal on a table when I spotted him and his hat at what seems to be his usual table. I quickly gathered my bag and plate and sat with him, greeting him and pointing out the lovely cupcake I had selected.
Nice opener! He had not yet looked at that area.
We had a fine meal together, talking about the usual school stuff, but also about Halloween. I'm not clear on how we landed on that topic, but the holiday is quite dear to him and his family!
I do hope I will be able to share one more meal with him next week.

The hat?
(smile)
That's his conversation starter, I'm sure.
He wears it with great pride, as he has crafted it himself.
The red strip of cloth used as a hatband denotes his favorite color.
The many feathers were either given to him or found by him and are from all over the country. Some are large, such as those from the pheasant and the vulture. Others, like those of the bluejay and warbler, are tucked into the hatband, nearly out of view.
He always has a welcoming gaze and a confident air.
You can tell he is comfortable in his own skin.
As an older person, I can really appreciate that in a young man.
I should have said something to him weeks ago.
I did notice that no one sat with him, probably because he was different from the other students.
Different is always fine with me.
I hope to dine with him next week!

No comments: