Sunday, August 30, 2015

last batting practice with my boys of summer


Trust me, I really am trying to keep up a bright and shiny face these last few weeks.
Especially for my boys of summer, and all the folks who continue to share that experience with me, week after week, month after month, year after year.

This morning, I held a special test session for a student who is to be naturalized tomorrow - with her mom, too!
Afterward, I headed for the ballpark. I had mistakenly scheduled the test for the start time of this last-ever batting practice for season ticket holders and their beloved team.
There had been no way around it. I had resolved to go ahead with my plans made with the student. That is, I would be shouldering my responsibility as a teacher instead of shouldering a bat.
Sigh.
But no worries!
I arrived right on time to Grayson Stadium! As good fortune would have it, the start had been delayed about an hour. The practice was just starting!
I was the second person at bat!!!
I took my leave of the batting cage just as soon as I had "put the wood on the ball", as Willie would say. Go out on top with what would surely have been a pop out! Still, I'd had at least ten pitches before I hit it.
Lynn did much better than I did. She was first at bat, with her very own bit of ash for swinging.
The other "Sweet Caroline girl" took her turn after me, choosing to use the same Louisville Slugger bat that I had swung.
See all of those balls behind her? Those were the "swing and a miss" pitches for me.
She hit nearly every ball!
So, I guess I can't blame the bat.
(smile)

Afterward, we joined the folks
under the picnic canopy
for the luncheon.
Grilled chicken breasts!
Grilled burgers!
Grilled beef hotdogs!
And look at my Coke can!
"Trendsetter" - haha!

Lynn's was right
on target, too!
"Mom",
it proclaimed,
in bright red letters!

laurie's had her designation
absolutely correct, too -
"Sweetie"!
All cans were randomly selected -
I swear!
I guess this was a grand joke
from the universe!
(smile)



And now I am home again.
The game was called off, rescheduled as part of a doubleheader for Tuesday. The field, both in and out, were sodden and slick from the deluge early this morning, as well as all that fell yesterday.
Again, no worries!
I came home laden with leftovers after a very successful morn!
Now, to wait for the games on these weekdays... and hope for a cessation of rain...

No comments: