Friday, February 27, 2015

spring breakers and odd lots


I am so glad that Tomasz, of Cinema Savannah, keeps an eye out for these odd films! "Spring Breakers" is not a current film (released in 2012), nor is it a foreign film (his usual fare for us), and it's already on DVD. So, why did he feel so strongly about screening it at Muse Arts Warehouse?
I'll tell you why. This truly is a movie about "girls gone wild", but not like you're thinking.
No.
Two of these girls are not like the others. On the outside, they seem perfect; you can't tell that the wiring in their heads is hooked up wrong. Violence is what they crave, in a social setting where that is forbidden. But things change when they get bailed out by a drug lord (played with panache by James Franco!).
I really liked it! Then again, I'm a big fan of "Heathers" and I could see these two blondes as colleagues of J.D.'s. Definitely!
Now to find a way to pass the time on the west side of downtown before venturing off to the comedy show.
I know!

Supper!
It was a cold night, so I wanted soup.
I had gone by the Sentient Bean, but didn't care for their two selections.
What to do?
Thank God I remembered that Sandfly BBQ had just expanded to downtown!
I had plenty of time for the Brunswick Stew, some fries, and even a Moonpie!
All warmed up, I headed out for improv!

Odd Lot was performing at the Forge, an art venue at the Guild Hall. Not at their usual place, not on their usual night! Not at their usual price, either, but that's okay.
The skits were done a bit differently tonight.
Chris served as emcee, as well as improv artist. His job was to ask the audience for locations and such, then he would assign two of the players to get things started. So far, same procedure as for their Monday night shows at Muse Arts Warehouse.
However, tonight, the actors were then free to riff on the scenario in whatever direction they wanted, tagging others in and out as the scene evolved - morphed? - from one perspective to another. Cool!
This photo is at the beginning of "Changing Channels". The audience had been asked to provide items to be used as props. Jason A. had the huge white disc, which Doug is holding. Zach has my package of crackers from dinner, Andy H has my ocean scarf, and Megan has one of my leopard-print gloves. Chris is in charge of the "tv remote" to switch from one advertiser to another, repeatedly.
hahaha haha!
Patrick was there in the audience, too, as well as odd Lot's cofounder, Justin. There were also some accented tourists.
The best part?
All the hugs after the show!
Those got me good and warm!
(smile!)
Now, to get ready for science nerds tomorrow morning.
G'night, y'all!

No comments: