Monday, February 16, 2015

pączki for mardi gras!



What a treat!
Once a year, the Publix bakery graces us with these rich Polish doughnuts, just in time to celebrate before the trials of Lent.
Am I Catholic?
Do I have ancestors from Poland?
No, and no.
But I was married for fifteen years to a Polish-Irish man who was raised Catholic in Hamtramck, the Polish suburb of Detroit. He and his mom, Mother Pat, were the ones who first introduced me to these delightful, cake-like, filled treats.
Now, seven years after our divorce, I am still enjoying these sweets, but this year has been different.
This year, I've bought extra boxes to share with those I know.
What types of fillings? Well, here in Savannah, we get raspberry, Bavarian apple, and vanilla custard. The raspberry is my favorite! So, that is the type I have been sharing.
The first recipients were Willie and his sweetheart, Gloria. I took them the box of four pączki on Friday, straight from the grocery store. I'd ordered two boxes for Thursday, but they did not make them that day. So, Friday afternoon, they had called to let me know they made them. Hurray! Off I went to pick them up, then thought: Let's share!
So I bought another box.
Willie was the first person to come to mind. He and I have lost two fellow fans of the Sand Gnats, plus he has had more health problems with the cold weather. This would hopefully cheer him up.
Indeed it did! He called me the very next day (morning of Valentine's Day) to tell me how much he liked them! Wow!
Well, alrighty then!
Next on my agenda that very day was the birthday party for my first niece's two boys. I had received some comments to my post on fb about the doughnuts, so folks were definitely curious.
Very good! I would take a box over there to share!
And so I did!
(You can see them in the photo, under the Minions cupcakes.)
With all the treats to eat at the party, more than half of the box of raspberry-filled pączki were eaten up, with good reports from those who tried them.
Sweet!
So, I bought another box, this one to share with the movie discussion group on that Saturday evening. Javaflix Savannah is a meetup for film fans desiring post-viewing discussions. On this Valentine's Day (which simply coincided with the second-Saturday scheduling), we were treated to a romantic comedy, "Dear White People". So very funny!
And the red of the raspberry filling, against the white face of the powdered sugar, was so very appropriate for the day! Everyone ate them up!
Literally!
Saturday was such a joyous Valentine's Day!
I tell you, this whole experience has been good for me.
I need to share more of those things that are special to me, whether it's Valentine's Day or just another Tuesday.
You know what I mean?
Every day can be, and is, special.
For sure!

4 comments:

Heather H said...


Heather H
February 13 at 5:58pm

What do they taste like?

Nancy O said...


Nancy O
February 13 at 6:03pm

Happy Valentine's <3

Shayla E said...


Shayla E
February 13 at 6:28pm

Mmmm, my mom would make them on Fat Tuesday. Yum!

Erin M said...


Erin Mlynczyk
February 16 at 7:56pm

I bought mine!