Thursday, December 31, 2015

Monet, Monet, Monet, Monet - MONET!



Tying up loose ends today was I!
"Good Morning, Starshine" had started my day, with the lovely Beverly D'Angelo's hair whipping in the wind of the convertible. Yes, indeed, "Hair" was on the telly!
What better accompaniment could I have wanted as I drank my coffee from my Elvis mug and ate my breakfast on my Elvis plate?
Well, to have Elvis in the building, of course!
So, I freed him from the cellophane in which he has resided, still folded up, since I brought him home from the Georgia Elvis Festival...in 2013. Bad enough that I had transported The King in the trunk instead of giving him shotgun. Poor guy...
He certainly looks great in my dining room! Las Vegas duds and all!
Now, that is the way to start a new year - in the "Love Me Tender" arms of the world's most gorgeous "Teddy Bear"!
He's nearly life-sized, too.
(smile!)

Next on the agenda: a trip for some culture, baby!
With the O'Jays song running though my head, no doubt doubly inspired by both the movie yesterday and the art exhibit I was off to view. "Monet and American Impressionism", with six of Claude Monet's originals, was at the Jepson and I had not yet been to visit.
Tsk, tsk!

With a nod to the visit
to that museum at this time
last year
, I just may have to
make this an annual event!
(Great idea, Paul and Cathy!!)
Again, I went to see the
Bird Girl and took a photo with her!
Again, I went to the
"I Have Marks To Make" exhibit,
now celebrating its 21st incarnation.
With works created locally by
folks recovering from strokes
and other brain damage,
it's quite an inspiring testament
to the power of the human spirit
to overcome obstacles.
Bravo!
And for the first time,
I viewed the flowers in "Champ d'avoine",
painted when Monet was 50 years old.
(That's me with the replica painted on a museum wall for us posers!)
I admired the rushing water in "Rising Tide At Pourville", painted eight years earlier.
Next, I saw the sepia tones he'd used for "Bridge at Argenteuil on a Gray Day", painted six years before that.
I then marveled at "Waterloo Bridge", painted in 1903, when he was 63 and suffering from failing sight.
Amazing! By thinking of his works in chronological order, I could see the development of his style through the decades. That helped me admire the man, as well as his art and his reflection in those works.
Perspective - what a difference it makes!

Next stop: gasoline! I found a penny by the pump, too!
(Thanks, Mama!)
I went ahead and bought my lottery tickets, so the next time you see me, I should be debt-free!
(smile!)

A slunch was needed now...where to go, where to go?
The Chromatic Dragon beckoned! They're having a big celebration tonight, Lasers vs Longswords, but that was still hours away, so there wasn't a big crowd there yet. I dined on Starfox Barrel Rolls, consisting of corned beef and sauerkraut in egg roll wrappers - very good! I even have some left for breakfast tomorrow!
The Uncle Chuck hot dog (all beef... get it?) was topped with good chili - just what I wanted!

Now, after getting the fixin's for hoppin' john and greens for tomorrow, I'm catching up on some year-end stuff here. Later, y'all!
See ya next year!

1 comment:

me said...

One more thing - I very much liked the works of Frederick Frieseke, a Michigander, in the Monet exhibit. "The Garden Umbrella", "Lilies", and "Reflections (Marcelle)" were quite lovely!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Carl_Frieseke