Tuesday, November 24, 2015

red hot lovers with bbq and a side of groucho!


Yesterday was so bitter sweet.
I had to say farewell forever to Contessa. That was very sad.
But I spent the emotionally-charged day and most of the evening with the bfe. That was very good.
How fortunate that our schedules finally coincided so we could be a comfort to each other! What excellent timing by that magnificent kitteh - one last mitzvah from the 'Tess.
As I said, yesterday was a bitter-sweet day.
The physicist and I were overdue for some time together. It's been better than two months since we last dined and talked. Crazy!
Yesterday afternoon, I picked up him and Tess - after some hugs and tears - and took them to Pets at Peace. Dave, the co-founder of the program at the funeral home, met us with great sympathy and open ears. The bfe was even able to carry Tess to the crematorium for her safe passage. I stayed in the anteroom, not wanting to deny him those final moments with the cat he's had for 'all of his adult life', as he says.
As he told Dave, Contessa was probably 16 years old. She was a well-traveled girl, having lived with the bfe while he was became a physicist in Mississippi, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Georgia. She had outlasted all of his girlfriends, too.
That's a good relationship.
After more tears and hugs, we went in search of barbeque, as that is what the man wanted.
Off to White Bluff, to B's Cracklin' Barbeque! I had heard good things about it, but never been, so it would be new for both of us.
STRIKE ONE!
Closed. It's only open Wednesday through Sunday.
Fine.
Off we went to Johnny Harris! While I drove, I told him about Frank's love of their barbeque and why and how it compared to the one I grew up on.
STRIKE TWO!
Closed. I hope not forever, but who knows?
Fine.
Off we went to the Carey Hilliard's on Skidaway Road! He wanted to go there because it was the one I grew up knowing. Plus, that would complete his dining at all of those in Savannah! (He didn't know about the new one in Pooler.)
HOME RUN!
It was open and not busy, as we were dining in mid-afternoon. We had fried pickles and the large Barbeque Plates and a three-hour meal! Lots of talking, too! None of their famous sweet tea, but that was A-okay! The unsweet iced tea was fine with us.
(smile)
Afterward, we jetted down to the Tybee Arts Association! The final performance of "Last of the Red Hot Lovers" was scheduled for 7:30 PM and we didn't even have a reservation! The Jim Ingham's "Black Box" Theater was a small space, but fortunately it was a Monday night and the audience was sparse. Hooray!
I had thought he would enjoy this tale of a late 1960's swinger and he did! The tale of a married man's quest to be part of the post-Pill sexual revolution was in three acts. In the first, the reluctant lover was paired with a hot-to-trot experienced lady - and nothing happened. The second time around, the would-be lover had unknowingly picked up a cock-teaser at the park - so, nothing happened. Last of all, he met with his wife's friend, mistaking her drunken groping at a recent party for true amorous feelings. Of course nothing happened then, either!
I think the funniest part was the location of these trysts. He had selected his mom's apartment for the afternoon liaisons, lending an air of anxiety about neighbors and time to the whole proceedings. Very funny! The bfe thought so, too!
Sadly, there were no singing commercials tonight. A staple at the plays performed there, I had spoken elatedly of them on our drive to the beach. Perhaps Renee and Kim didn't have the time on this Monday?
No worries - it had been a wonderful time for both of us!
As I dropped him back at his homestead last night, I brought forth his birthday present. Courtesy of Ivan's eBay adventures last year, I had snagged two Groucho Marx compilations: "You Bet Your Life: The Best Episodes" and "You bet Your Life: The Lost Episodes". I had intended to give them to the bfe last year, but then the kitteh adventure book was published with such great timing that I decided to wait.
Until last night, after all was done and we had some distance, emotionally and physically, from Contessa's death, as well as a bit of distraction courtesy of the beach theatre.
Good timing!

This morning, he went to school, in search of some normalcy.
I went to meet the head of the science department at Savannah Technical College! Woot woot! Great meeting with her and Jordan (whose place I am taking next semester while she is on maternity leave)! I met with Beverly Cohen in personnel and we got the background check paperwork completed, too! Happy, happy!
Then I went out to Armstrong to check on the bfe, to see whether it was time to fetch Tess home again.
His communicator is on the fritz, refusing to allow texting.
(That's a hoot!)
I contacted him by email and he was good and ready to go.
We ate at Arby's, as it was almost 2 PM. This time, it was my treat! We took our time, chatting, eating every bite.
Then, off to Paws at Peace. Dave had the paperwork ready to go and Contessa's cremains in a cherry-hued wooden box.
Classy - she would have liked that.
Then I took them home.
As I told the bfe, the bus was fine for him as his usual mode of travel, but she rated a more direct and private ride.
A very satisfying finish for both of us.

Now, I'm off to see "The Peanuts Movie" with Barbara and Sandy. That'll be a nice bit of mindless levity to wrap up the day.
Later, y'all.

3 comments:

faustina said...

At the play, the music chosen for the mom's apartment was the greatest hits of Dionne Warwicke.
How did I know?
I once had that album!

Tonight, I went to karaoke with Sandy and sang FOUR of Warwicke's songs! "Do You Know The Way To San Jose", "Walk On By", "I Say A Little Prayer For You", and "Then Came You"!
Such FUN to get that out of my system!
(smile!)

F-grrrl! said...

One more thing... correspondence from me to him...

"J-Dawgg!

I stumbled upon this oldie from Ivan, in which he speaks of the two "You Bet Your Life" sets.
http://www.radiospirits.info/2012/10/27/the-secret-word-is-anniversary/

And here is where he mentioned my 'finding' them in his stash:
http://thrillingdaysofyesteryear.blogspot.com/2014/07/baby-if-you-ever-wondered.html

I do hope you're enjoying the shows! Maybe I could even view some sometime?

F-grrl!

i thank you God for most this amazing day: for the leaping greenlyspirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes - e.e. cummings
"

bfe said...

11/24/2015 11:40AM

Hey Faustina,

My phone is all wacky and I have not been able to send texts and receive them. I hope my new phone will pick up the phone number soon...

Anyway, thanks you again for a helping me out with Tess. Also I really enjoyed hanging out with you and the play was really good too.

Thank you very much Faustina.

J-D