Sunday, August 9, 2015

flotation devices in a troubled sea!



I don't recall which of my friends posted this on fb, but it couldn't be more appropriate for an ocean-loving girl like me.

"An entire sea of water can't sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship.
Similarly, the negativity of the world can't put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.
"

That resonated with me.
Ever since the hit-and-run driver slammed into the back of my car, disabling it and stranding me, the deep sea of the sadness in the world has been swamping my decks.
I have been flailing around, struggling to keep my chin up and my eyes dry, trying not to drown in its vast depths.

Fortunately, I am blessed with friends and family who swam to my rescue, braving the breaking waves to carry me to safety.
Literally.
On Monday afternoon, my first niece and her husband came by to take me to their house for dinner and company and many, many hugs from both of them and their foster son. We ate spaghetti, always a favorite of mine. I didn't even care about the freckles of red sauce on my shirt.
(smile)
On Tuesday, my first niece again picked me up, this time for lunch with her foster son, her mom, her little sister, and her brother's twin girls. Yeah for family!!! We then re-convened in Guyton, at my outlaw Melinda's house, for some time in her pool. Very nice!
After the swim, she and I returned to Savannah, talking all the way. Just what I needed - a distraction from my own troubles! We two joined her husband for "Vacation", laughing at the trials and tribulations of the younger generation of the Griswold family.
After they dropped me off, my nephew Michael called and we talked for almost thirty minutes! Very nice! (Believe me, that was a treat! He really doesn't talk much on the phone, preferring to text.)
My mood was so good that I even mowed the front yard!
(smile)
On Wednesday, after a frustrating day of phone calls with 911 staff and police officers, a welcome voice sounded from the murky depths. It was the librarian! Would I like for her to come and pick me up for dinner at her house? Would I like to see "Phantom Lady", a film-noir treat from PFS at the Sentient Bean?
Yes, yes I would!
So she came and fetched me and took me to her house, to play with her bouncing baby boy, to dine with her and her man and his mom on beef and broccoli. Then she and I went to the movie, greeting friends there, greatly enjoying the 1944 mystery.
Then my facade of "I'm okay" crashed and burned, right in front of everyone there. The librarian arranged for a lifeboat to carry me off for companionship, Cape Cods, and comic relief at Pinky Masters. By the time I was rowed back home, sanity was restored and I was sailing on an even keel again.
(smile)
On Thursday, the police report was personally delivered to me by the reporting officer! I called my insurance company and they sprang into action! Then Barbara the math teacher texted. "I'm headed out to run some errands. Want to join me?"
Yes, yes I would!
She picked me up and we had a leisurely lunch at Kayak Kafe (the midtown one) before hitting Home Depot. Then we bopped over to the garden shop on Victory Drive. What nice ocean-themed yardware they had! I treated myself to three strands of clam shells and starfish. Then she dropped me back at home.
Just in time, too! Sandy came by less than thirty minutes later, to take me out for line-dance lessons and karaoke with Living Out Loud! Most excellent! Folks from Post 36, my American Legion chapter, were there and we all had a great time! Steve, the KJ, even asked me to sing a Beatles tune ("Across The Universe") with him! Later, he and I and another woman sang "Life In A Northern Town"; she had really wanted to hear the song and I was the only one there who knew how it started. We got a nice round of applause afterward, too!
(smile)
Friday was awesome!
Marjorie the architect picked me up in her convertible to join the Lunch Ladies at Al Salaam Deli! Jackie, Debbie, Colleen, and Betsy joined us, making it a cool half-dozen dining on falafel and baba ganoush and comradery!
After she returned me home, I wasn't here for long. My stepmom Bonnie was in town from Beaufort! She grabbed me and we saw "Mr. Holmes", a new twist with a look at the aging sleuth. Fabulous! We both found it to be very enjoyable!
Back to home again, again not for long! The Lucas was screening "Road House" and long, tall Don had volunteered to be my driver. Hooray! How wonderful to see Patrick Swayze dance and to watch Ben Gazzara wax evil! How fabulous to hear Jeff Healey singing and joking!
Yep, definitely a very good day all the way through!
(smile)
Yesterday was an excellent follow-up to Friday! The insurance adjuster came by in the morning and I had a check in hand, for repairs, by 11 AM. Incredible! What a fortunate break for me!
That afternoon, Sandy picked me up to carry me downtown. I was joining some of my Lunch Ladies, as well as my first niece, for the 8 PM screening of "Dirty Dancing" at the Lucas. (It was "Swayze Crazy" weekend there!) Sandy was on her way to the 6 PM JavaFlix Savannah film, which I had already seen. She had sweetly agreed to be my taxi, allowing me to dine at Kayak Kafe's original location. Hooray!
My first niece took care of me after that, joining me for the movie, reveling at more dancing Patrick Swayze! Ah, what joy! She even took me by the CVS on the way home!
(smile)
Today, my first little brother swung by with ribs and brunswick stew! Woohoo! I do so <3 ribs!!! Then, Barbara and Sandy picked me up and we three saw the latest Woody Allen film, "Irrational Man". Joaquin Phoenix was excellent - as always - as an aging philosopher besotted with one of his manipulative and nubile students, played to the hilt by Emma Stone. Oh, what fools these mortals be!
Afterward, we dined at Jalapenos. Hooray! I do so enjoy their food! And my companions really enjoy sharing my dessert: churros! Happiness for all!
(smile)
All in all, this has been a blessed week!
Tomorrow, I pick up my rental car and will be able to ferry myself around.
I do believe these tumultuous waters are beginning to subside and the beach is coming into view.
i thank You, God.

No comments: