Tuesday, February 17, 2015

i'm not white, i'm ICE


Thank you, Patrick Young, for bringing this little gem to town!
He came to Savannah via Pennsylvania, where a friend of his had started a movie discussion group. Patrick started his own "franchise" of JAVAFLIX in this fair town (and you can find out more here). On the second Saturday of each month, a movie is screened and then... we have caffeine and snacks and talk about the movie. Simple and straightforward. It's very similar to the Philo Cafe in that everyone's opinion is valued and welcomed.
I like that.
I'm writing this a bit late. The group met on this past Saturday, on a weekend when I had Minions, French films, a musical, and jazz - whew!
Yet, I made sure I was one of the JAVAFLIXians in attendance! Truthfully, I almost didn't go. The preview for "Dear White People" was misleading, implying that this was to be a movie to instigate racial tension amongst the viewers. I am sure that the month before, when this film was voted to be our selection, that it was thought to serve in that regard.
I already had my line at hand.

"White people?
I'm not white people.
I'm an Irish-Cherokee-English American, thank you very much.
But you can call me an I-C-E American."

Good one, n'est-ce pas?
Barbara and Sandy thought so!
Still, I really didn't want to have a racial conflict with my fellow movie-goers, most especially not on Valentine's Day, a time for love and friendship. So, I did a little research on the chosen movie.
Owen Gleiberman's review laid my fears to rest. He's with the BBC media, that outfit across the Atlantic that has naught to gain from racial conflicts on this side of the pond. As he explains, this was not to be a this skin color versus that skin color movie. Au contraire, mon frere. It was more of an internal conflict within a single race, with a young black woman trying to be the voice of "her" people in a radio program gone into caricature. At one point, she realizes the trap she has built, but doesn't know how to step out of it.
As the reviewer says: "These characters show that you can be too busy trying to do the right thing to actually do it."
Barbara said she really liked that last line, too.
So, we three gals went to movie and laughed and had a wonderful time! Others did, too! Almost thirty people braved the cold to come watch and discuss this movie. What a great success for Patrick!
Of course, we three were unable to stay for the discussion, as we had a final french film forthcoming.
But I did leave this message for the others in the group!

"I was delighted that this movie was much lighter than the preview implied. So very good to see Tyler James Williams in a role that allowed him to further strut his comedic chops! I had so enjoyed him in tv's "Everybody Hates Chris".
Such a great group of folks at this film, too! Very good choice!"


1 comment:

faustina said...

Woohoo!
I had voted in February for "Birdman (Or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance" to be the March film - and it is!!!
Yeah!