Sunday, January 11, 2015

first karaoke of 2015!


After the post-movie discussion last night, Sandy and I headed over to Post 36 for some karaoke. I'm a member of that Post of the American Legion and they had karaoke slated for every Saturday of this month. Woohoo!
Sadly, 'twasn't true. Apparently, there had been a vote (so said the older woman there) and karaoke had been cancelled for the entire month.
As we were leaving, the young man there asked if we were still wanting to go to karaoke. We assured him we were and he recommended The Islander. Major coolness! I knew exactly where that was, thanks to my trip to Lili's on Wednesday. We thanked him and went off to sing.
And sing we did!
They weren't quite ready when we arrived, as they don't technically get started until 10 PM. But Corey, the KJ, was in the house, so we got a book to peruse while we chilled with a Seabreeze (her) and a Guinness draft (me).
Great bartender, by the way! He kept a close eye on all of the clientele, making sure the environment was safe for all. I really liked that.
So, as I said, we sang! We shared the microphone with Amber and Jessica and... well, the KJ, of course, and... heck, I guess that was it. Nice!!! Basically, we averaged three songs an hour. Each of us. That's pretty well unheard of! Usually, at most karaoke joints, you're lucky to perform one song per hour.
Yes, indeed, we had the "Tina and Sandy Show" going on! We were throwing all kinds of songs out there, too! Patsy Cline and The Go-Gos and Duran Duran were three of Sandy's choices. I had Marshall Tucker Band, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Sam and Dave, Paul McCartney, Jim Stafford, and The Cure among my selections.
There was even a pinball machine! And it was one of my favorites! Attack From Mars! I gathered up some of my parking meter quarters and played a game while Sandy was deciding on songs. Of course I didn't win, but it sure was a lot of fun and brought some happy memories of playing it at the 606 East with my ex.
Long about 2 AM, we decided we were done for the night. The karaoke was scheduled to continue for another hour, but we were all sung out. I had closed with a Split Enz tune I hadn't heard in years and was pleased with how readily it had come to me. That's a good way to go out!
I dropped Sandy off (sans her loaf of bread from Patrick) and headed on home. As I pull into the driveway, guess what song comes on the radio???
Yep! "I Got You"! Wow!!! What a great night!
And would you look at that mileage on the odometer? Very nice!
Nice round numbers to match my yawning mouth... good night!

No comments: