Friday, January 9, 2015

enigma and the physicist


This afternoon, the physicist and I went to another science-based documentary.
Yes, I'm aware that makes it sound dry and hardly palatable.
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
Truth to tell, this was the film I had first pledged to see with my bfe, aka "the physicist". However, as movie release dates would have it, "The Theory of Everything" came up first in the rotation. We had both very much enjoyed the story of Stephen Hawking, as told through his first wife's eyes. The science in it was explained in such as way as to not be pedantic to the layman nor trite to those in the know. I completely enjoyed it.
However, "The Imitation Game" is the one the bfe greatly preferred. It's a very different film, not truly explaining the science behind the machine, but definitely exploring the scientific method. Math buffs, crossword puzzle enthusiasts, physicists - this one was made for you.
I certainly fall into one of those categories, too, as well as being a rave fan of the seven-year-old television show about three young physicists and an engineer. You know, "The Big Bang Theory"! Everyone who likes that show should definitely see this Benedict Cunderbatch movie.
I did cry quite a bit at the end of it. Not for the main character, but for the female lead. The events in the film occurred between 1941 and 1954. Those were very different times, not only in America, but also in England and in the world. Women did not have the rights they do today. It was absolutely amazing that Joan Clarke was even acknowledged to have the mathematical abilities she possessed, even more so that she was granted the opportunity to use those abilities and to work alongside men as an equal. That opportunity was due, in large part, to Alan Turing, who saw her as a talented person, not as a talented woman.

After such an enthralling movie, we were ready for dinner.
Absolutely!
After all, we had foregone popcorn at the film and now it was 7 PM.
He wanted sashimi and I knew just the place for him to try:
HaHot Mongolian Grill!
Yes, I know it had only been two days since I was there, but I foresee it becoming one of my favorite places to dine.
He had his trio of fresh fish sashimi and I had another bowl of goodness and we both walked away full and happy.
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
Happy!!!
(smile)
He also had a belated Christmas gift for me!
Apparently, he had special ordered it and it had arrived just before he left for OhiO with his folks, but while I was visiting Winter and Hope. In other words, schedule conflicts.
No worries!
I am now the pleased-as-punch owner of two films starring Noah Wyle as a librarian. Oh, yes I am! "The Libriarian: Quest For The Spear" and "The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines" are now mine to enjoy! I look forward to a few hours enthralled in the adventures of a first-rate puzzle-solver!
The physicist had spoken of them at one of our dinner-and-Carol-Burnett evenings at his place. I had really liked the premise of the shows, as well as the core cast. Bob Newhart, Jane Curtin, Olympia Dukakis: I love these people and the characters they create!
I love that physicist, too. He is such a good bfe!


No comments: