Sunday, September 6, 2015

singing in the choir


Twice this week, I have been fortunate enough to be part of a choir.
No, not a church choir.
I speak of being in the audience at a momentous event attended sparsely.
I've seen this happen far too often.
But I made sure that I was there at the Ocean Film Festival, there for the discussion about jobs, careers, and obsessions, and there for the three men of three faiths.
I've been to many practice sessions for the choir over the years, of course.
You see, the choir recognizes that it always needs practice.
(smile)

On Wednesday, I was at the university for the release of the results of the Climate Survey Assessment. You better believe I wanted to know the conclusions which could be drawn! I had spent quite some time last spring answering the questions.
Dr. Sue Rankin, of Rankin Consulting, covered the highlights of the findings. Ninety minutes was devoted to the discussion, in which she was sure to include those of us (like me) sitting in the first few rows. The good news, she told us, is that the students believe they are getting a good education.
That's very good news!
But the bad news was echoed by faculty, staff, and students.
The first item of bad news concerned the almost tangible air of repression on the campus. This is an air that fosters dissociation, distrust, and lack of communication between faculty members, between staff personnel, between students.
The second item of bad news spoke to the preponderance of people in positions of leadership who have no training on being a leader. Previous studies have definitively shown that such people operate as bullies in order to distance them from those they are to lead.
See the correlation?
I sure did.
And I pointed it out, too, in the form of a question to her. In front of everyone there, all the other choirmembers, many of whom know me and which department and college I serve.
"If the results show that we have leaders with no training in leadership, fostering a bullied air for those being led, what can be done to make sure all leaders, current and future, receive proper training?"
Surprisingly, Dr. Rankin responded as if she had not seen that correlation.
Then again, her function was to analyze the survey results and present the findings to us. Her function was not to fix those problems for us.
That is our task in the year ahead.
But the correlation certainly explains why Gladys has become the Department Head's secretary and not the secretary of the entire Department, as she once was.

Today, I attended church for the first time in ... well, in several months, at least. Between my summer travels and Rev. Billy Hester's travels, it has certainly been quite a while. But I had felt the need to be there, especially having seen "War Room" twice in two days. (I saw it on Thursday, by myself, with a surprising number of other viewers for the afternoon screening. I then saw it again Friday evening with two of my nieces, their choice. Considering the movie centered on an older woman helping a younger one regain her faith, I thought it a nice coincidence that I had seen it and could lead them to it.)
Plus, given my August woes, I needed the company of those who know me, I needed the comfort of Rev. Billy's sermon, I needed the grace of communion.
I needed to feel part of something larger than myself.
This was definitely the right Sunday for that immersion.
A little girl was baptized and we sang a special lullaby of welcome for her.
Two couples were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and we sang "Happy Anniversary" to them.
A violinist accompanied a guitarist for a psalm beautifully set to music.
The sermon centered on not competing with those we love, a very good message for the current couples and for those there will be in the future.
Here is the scripture from Philippiians 2:3-5.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others.
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus.
"

Trust me, that ties in beautifully with the message of the movie.
Afterward, I stood in line for my hug from Billy, then went to the social hall for coffee and cookies and contact. When I spoke with Kathy, she invited me to join the meeting, and luncheon, in the choir practice room.
What an appropriate place to gather to fight social injustice!
AMUMC's group affiliated with the Reconciling Ministries Network met to discuss the upcoming UMC conference and the issues to be discussed there. Issues like the ability of our pastor to officiate for gay and lesbian weddings, without fear of repercussion.
I had no idea he was in such a bind. A considerable portion of our congregation, both now and in the past, is LGBT. I was unaware that he was not able to fully minister to them because of the UMC being a "world church".
Why should that status as a "world church" hold any sway over his ability to fully tend to his congregation?
Well, it turns out that we, at this Savannah church in this LGBT-friendly seaport, have to follow the lead of those in less-progressive parts of the world. Majority rule, it seems, is the law, with our vote not enough to preserve the advanced programs we have in place.
I am in shock to know all of this is going on behind the altar, so to speak.
I believe the congregation, as a whole, needs to be made aware of the attempt of the main church to stifle the creativity and love of this church.
This choir member is ready to sing out!

No comments: