Monday, November 2, 2015

rockin' the kasbah with memories!


Sometimes, I am especially glad that I subscribe to the newspaper. Today was one of those times!
I gave my students their fourth test tonight. I occupied myself with Sudoku and Jumble and Word Game and Crossword, as I usually do.
Hooray for the Savannah Morning News!
Otherwise, I'd just be sittin' and watchin' the students. That would be unnerving for all of us.
The Sudoku was just a one-star challenge, so I was done lickety-split.
The Jumble had a woman supervising some guys. "The movers had no problems lifting the heavy boxes, but she wanted them to"...pick up the pace. Funny!
The Word Game offered "espresso", with a goal of finding 14 words in 25 minutes. Done! How about press, spree, peer, poser, prose, pose, rose, rope, seep, seer, posse, sore, pore, and erose? Go ahead, check that last one! I've seen it in enough crossword puzzles that it's embedded in my brain!
Speaking of the Crossword today... one of the clues was: "The Rum _ Tugger" (song from "Cats").
I know that one! I even danced with Rum Tum Tugger! My husband had called to say we had front-row seats at the show (a winner had not collected their prize from the radio station - yeah for us!), and most excellent seats they were, on orchestra left. During the performance, RTT came off the stage, dancing, then stopped in front of me with his paw out for me to join him! Wow wow WOW!!! Honestly, the rest of the show was a blur for me!
How very nice to be reminded of that treat! I wish I could recall when it was, but I can definitely say it was between 2001 and 2007. (It was after Mama died and before my divorce from that music man.)
Then, I read the comics and found that one, shown above.
More good memories! Monica used to have fabulous Halloween parties at her A-frame house! That would have been in the same time-frame as the musical, too. My then-husband was usually tapped to play DJ for the parties and rarely went in costume. Me? I always came up with something low cost to don!
One year, I used my 'fall colors' dress as the basic costume, then pinned big fake leaves all over it. With the background patchwork of the dress' design, plus a bit of facial coloration and leaves in my hair, I proclaimed myself "a pile of wet leaves"! Why, specifically, 'wet'? Because if the leaves were dry, they'd fall off!
(smile!)
Everyone enjoyed that! Plus, that pile of wet leaves looked really cool when I was dancing!
Good times!

After the test, I jetted over to the cinema for "Rock The Kasbah", the latest Bill Murray film. Honestly, this one should have been included in the Savannah Film Festival screenings. It would have been a good one to follow "He Named Me Malala", both featuring young women following their dreams in war-torn countries, with threats against their lives for going after traditional male-only goals.
This movie was dedicated to Setara Hussainzada, an actual contestant on the real show, "Afghan Star".
In both movies, we see the struggle in their fathers between pride in their daughter's choices and fear for their daughter's lives. That really hit me hard, as such scenes do.
I sought solace from the Philo Cafe folks... would they still be at Chili's? They were! Hallelujah!
So I visited with Connie and Cedric and Kevin and was regaled with stories of Kevin's 'precious snowflakes' and their colorful drawings of him as an octopus.
I am so very blessed!

No comments: