Tuesday, September 1, 2015

first - and last ever - pitch with my boys of summer!


Wow!!! I am so very excited!!!
Between games tonight, Joe Shepard, the Ticketing Manager and man in charge of communications with the Season Ticket Holders, came up to me on the main concourse.
I was on his short list for people to throw a first pitch at the final home game tomorrow.
Was I interested?
Was I interested???
Of course I was interested!!!
And thrilled and elated and bubbly at just being asked!!!

But, thrilled as I was by his invitation, I told him I had to decline. Being the responsible person I have been all of my life, my duties as a lecturer and lab instructor would have to come first...
... or would they?
Well, let's consider lecture at this point in the semester. My students just had their first test on Monday and would be getting it back tomorrow. Although not critical that it be returned then, I know they will want to correct their mistakes while the material is still fresh.
As for new material, I would be presenting the states of matter, introducing terms related to changes in those states, and speaking of the units of energy. Yes, dear Reader, I speak of gases, liquids, and solids, melting and condensation, calories and Calories and joules. Oooh, Aaah. See? Even those gentle folk who are not chemistry students already know this material!
I am confident that my students will be able to handle the Homework Assignment quite well, especially as I have included several tutorials in that list. When we return from our Labor Day break, next Wednesday, we will have plenty of time to discuss those topics before we look at energy diagrams.
Also, I am still holding my two-hour Office Hours session tomorrow afternoon. Those concerned with the retrieval of their tests can meet with me then.
Alrighty then!
Restructuring my lecture schedule would allow me to be present for first-pitch formalities after all!!!
But what about lab afterward? Would I be able to be back in time for lab?
The lab I had scheduled for this week is a graphing exercise. It's very straightforward and should serve as a simple review for the students, to make sure we all understand the important sections of a graph. Again, dear Reader, I speak only of x and y axes, proper labeling of same, titles and point plotting and drawing a best-fit line.
Usually, after a very brief introduction and briefer still quiz, we disperse to the computer lab for practice with the latest version of Excel. Most students opt to use their home computers instead, so this lab usually lasts less than an hour.
I, of course, require them to hand-draw a graph, too, as part of their Post-Lab Report. Why? Because of the genuine wealth of information easily obtainable from such graphs, rather than the general trend depicted in a computer-generated version. Right?
The lab can easily be made up another time, so...
I can cross that off my list of responsibilities...
Alrighty then!
Shirking of Duties rationalized - check!
That left just one pesky item: my conscience. How to justify to myself this stepping away from responsibility? You may not realize this, but on Senior Skip Day in high school, my friends had to force me to play hookie.
Seriously!
I guess that sense of duty comes from being the eldest child. Whatever its origin, it's part of my core.
So, I reluctantly had told Joe I could not accept, much as I would love to be part of that special group.

Then, I went to the rocking chair in front of the stadium and sent the following text.

"I was just offered the op to throw out a first pitch tomorrow!
I wish I were more irresponsible! I sure would rather do that than lecture!
"

Justthatfast, the replies came pouring in!

My friend Bill, not content with the tedium of texting, called!
"Take it!"
"This is the only time you will ever be able to do this!"
"You know you want to and you deserve to!"
"Do it!"
(and more words to that effect!)

The beautiful JinHi was the first to text!
"Do it!"
"Your students will understand."
"I approve. :)"
"If anyone should be throwing that ball, it's you!"

My ex was next up!
"Oh, cr*p! I hope they offer another night, otherwise that lecture may have to wait."
"Lectures come and go. The Sand Gnats, however, are close to the end of their season and the end of their existence."

That first niece chimed right in, too!
"Write the notes and I will go and read them for you!"

My BFF, omnipotent goddess that she is had this to say!
"By the power vested in me by the great state of Georgia I do hereby give you permission to call in sick."
(She knows I have never done that, proof positive that I love teaching.)

My biggest little brother had this advice.
"Wow. It's hell to be responsible. Just have a good time tonight."
(Practical advice, sure...)

But that was immediately trounced by the bfe!
"OMG!!! That's freaking amazing! I'd cancel class if I were you! Will you ever have that chance again? No!"
"Hey, if I could come lecture for you I would. This is just the best opportunity you could get!!!!!"

My karaoke nephew, and dad of twins, proclaimed
"I'd definitely come see that!"

The "Sweet Caroline" daughter's reply was so great!
"How cool are you?!?!? That's AWESOME!"

And the baseball fan and Eagle Scout in Alabama told me
"That's Great! Congratulations!"
"U deserve it!"

Finally, Sandy rounded up the discussion.
"That is freaking AWESOME! But how? Did you decide to skip your lecture or get a substitute or call a field trip & get the class to go (like my improv group)?"
(Now, there's an idea...)
"It's definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!"
"That is so awesome you get to throw the 1st pitch! So happy for you! {HUG}"
.
.
.

Yep, after talking with Bill and receiving all the votes of confidence, I had jubilantly told Joe to count me in!
My final words to the ether on the decision:

I AM throwing a first pitch at tomorrow's [last home] game! So very excited!!!

I do hope I can throw to home plate!
We'll see!!!

No comments: