Saturday, July 4, 2015

double doubleheaders!


Wow!
For two days running, I've been to doubleheaders!
Each evening, I also had fireworks!
And I got it all for twenty bucks or less.
What a deal!


Last night, the doubleheader was with baseball games. The Sand Gnats were playing the Augusta Greenjackets, twice, to make up for the Thirsty Thursday game that was rained out.
For entrance to the festivities, I parlayed my Thursday night rained-out ticket for a fresh new one.
(It should be noted that my entry to the Thursday game was by swapping out the rained-out ticket from last Sunday. That Sunday ticket had been part of my Silver Sluggers package, so it was essentially free. Nice series of swaps, right?)
So, I had two baseball games for the cost on one ticket, with that one ticket costing... nothing.
(smile)
I sat with Willie for the first game, helping him holler, but to no avail. The Gnats lost that one.
My early dinner was the $8 Chicken Tender Platter (four fried pieces of white-meat chicken atop a mound of crispy fries) and the $1 soda in my Season Ticket Holder cup.
For the second game, Bruce was there to entertain Willie and the Bradleys were there to cheer along with me. That was great fun! But more was definitely in store. Three times, the Augusta coach came onto the field to argue with the umpire. One argument lasted almost ten minutes! That really brightened Willie's night!
During the game, I got another $1 refill of soda, plus a $3 bag of Cracker Jacks. Dessert, with a prize!
The Gnats won that game!
Then we were all treated to a fabulous fiReWOrKs display! I bet it lasted for almost twenty minutes!
All in all, I had about six hours of entertainment, plus dinner, for only $13.
I guarantee that was the best deal in town.

This afternoon, I escaped my hot little house for the cheapie ($5.75) matinee at the Wynnsong Cinema. I had selected the 4:10 screening of "Entourage" for my viewing pleasure, having recently reassessed my regard for the movie.
For only $4 I refilled my 2015 bucket with fresh popcorn. Another $6 got me the large Coca-Cola ICEE (to be refilled for free after the movie). I then settled in to one of the seats with the bars in front, so I could prop up my heat-swollen feet.
Sadly, I had to go to the manager three times before the film's completion, due to the cinema's technical/scheduling difficulties.
Happily, I was given a free pass to any other movie I would like.
Well, alrighty then!
I decided to make the day a movie doubleheader, something I once did often, but not so much of late.
The weather was working in my favor: pouring rain! No need to walk out into that when other movies begged to be watched for free!
(smile)
I tried to drum up some company, but nothin' doin'.
No problem!
I settled on a reviewing of "Mad Max: Fury Road" with my free ticket. The time was right and I knew I had missed the first part of it when Sandy and I saw it a while back.
A $4 refill of popcorn and a free refill of my drink and I was all set!
Woohoo!!! What a ride, filled with chills and spills and explosions!!! What a change of pace from the star-studded buddy film in the first part of my doubleheader!!!
By this time, it was after ten PM.
I'd had six hours of entertainment, and noshes, for $19.75.
Again I say: that was the best deal in town.


Did the cinema put on fireworks for the Fourth of July?
No need, my dears.
With the change in Georgia law, folks all along my route home regaled me with their light and sound displays.
Woohoo!!!

1 comment:

TUT said...

Do you know what's better, Faustina, than waking up to a 6 AM alarm clock, dashing through the house for work, and then suddenly realizing it's the weekend and you can go back to bed?

Having so much fun, with so many friends, laughing so hard, spending, dining, being merry, and suddenly realizing that this time, you're not just visualizing.

Happens every day,
The Universe