Sunday, July 5, 2015

wedding in north augusta!


Thirty years ago today, my cousin married the love of her life.
They have been together, in God's eyes, as a couple ever since.
Now, in the eyes of the federal law, throughout these United States, they are officially wed, with all the privileges and rights of married heterosexual couples.
At last.
Not that they were waiting for the Supreme Court's decision on the matter. South Carolina had legitimized the right of all people to marry more than six months earlier. They had sent the wedding invitations at least two months before the nation saw the light of a new day.
I was blessed to be one of those invited to bask in their love today.
I had not realized how careful they had been with that list. They had not wanted to have anyone who might have had a disparaging word or a pointing finger.
I was blessed to be one they trusted to be truly happy for them.
I am blessed that Sharon and Susan have both lived to enjoy this day.

I wish Mama and Grandmama could have been there, too.
One of the nicest parts of the ceremony, all of which was choreographed by Sharon, was the remembrance of those who had died. Sharon's mom and her enate grandmother. Sharon's sister, Valerie. Susan's father.
Their photographs, with lit candles, were given a table of honor near the wedding party.


I'm glad I took this photo of folks singing the song from "Frozen"!
I was able to 'freeze' this moment in time, for the one karaoke song performed.
Nice!

I said that I wish Mama
had been alive to be there,
but I believe she was present.
I said I wish my Grandmama
had been alive to be there, too,
but, again, I believe she was there
to bear witness.

No, not just because
of the odometer clicking into 167000
as I drove toward Augusta.
No, not just because there was
an amazing sky above
as that mileage was attained.
No, not because a penny
found its way into my hand...
because one did not.

I felt their spiritual presence
surrounding me as I listened
to the music Sharon had chosen
as the background before the ceremony.
Such old-fashioned love songs!

Coupled with the beauty of the day,
with the sun streaming in through the windows above the wedding party,
I was overwhelmed by the souls there to share the occasion with me,
with them.
Grandpa and Grandmama, Uncle Jimmy, Mama, Valerie...
all there with love and joy in their hearts.
What a blessed day for us all!
Here's hoping the years ahead are even better
than those already shared together!

No comments: