Wednesday, July 29, 2015

pass the popcorn, summer kids!


Before you get the wrong impression, this post isn't specifically aimed at children of a particular age.
After all, I am a Summer Kid, you know.
This morning, I watched the last movie I'll see this year as a Summer Kid. "Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory" was the feature, the 1971 version with Gene Wilder - the version I, myself, first saw as a child. What an amazing coincidence!
What a perfect choice to complete my slate of summer films!
All in all, I was treated to twelve films to start my weekday mornings, each one for less than $5.
Twelve!
Of those, almost half were movies I had not yet seen. How I missed them, I don't know. I've denoted those in bold below.
My thanks and appreciation to Spotlight Cinema for their free screenings, Carmike Cinema on Stephenson Avenue for the $4 movie + popcorn + soda combo, and Regal Cinema for the $1 movie (or choice of just $3 for movie + popcorn combo). Thanks, y'all, for making my summer cheerier while not breaking the bank!
Now, on with the game!
Here, I am presenting the quotes garnered only from the 10 AM, midweek, films I've had the pleasure of viewing this summer. You no doubt recognize it as the game I presented you last year.
One change to note: some movies are attributable to more than one quote, so keep that in mind.
Oh, one more thing: these quotes tend to be garnered from minor characters in the cast.
(All puns intended!)
(smile!
)

***** ***** *****
Here are the quotes, in no particular order at all.


1) "Ah, the gift of laughter! Thank you, dangly bells!"

2) "Citizens, stay tuned for a message from your tyrannical dictator."

3) "I'm her mom, I get to say when our child's fantasy ends."

4) "I'm not allowed to insult guests directly."

5) "You have to shake it up now and then."

6) "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

7) "I was a beast in the arena. A beast!"

8) "Smile, my boy - it's sunrise."

9) "I know it sounds like a cat poster, but it's true."

10) "Fommie landed an interview!"

11) "You can't score if you don't take the shot."

12) "Looks like we're having curly-toed weirdo for breakfast."

13) "You mean, on your birth certificate, it says Wyldstyle?"

14) "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."

15) "I'm the flaming pirate of Nagamaki!"

16) "He says it looks like a golden poo sitting on my shoulder."

17) "See you later, alligator."

18) "So, Dorothy, why have I called you all the way from Kansas?"

19) "She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead."

20) "Your mind is already so prodigiously empty there is nothing to clear away."

21) "Proper girls should not be obsessing over grotesque monsters."

***** ***** *****
Here are the movie choices, in the order in which I saw them.


A) "The Book of Life", 2014

B) "The Wizard of Oz", 1939

C) "Megamind", 2010

D) "Night At The Museum: Secret Of The Tomb", 2014

E) "The Boxtrolls", 2014

F) "Shrek Forever After", 2010

G) "Dolphin Tale 2", 2014

H) "Marmaduke", 2010

I) "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day", 2014

JJ) "The Lego Movie", 2014

K) "Tooth Fairy", 2010

L) "Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory", 1971

***** ***** *****

*

*

*

*

*

1) is D), jovially voiced by Sir Lancelot to Larry, in London, after noting his resemblance to the king's court jester, in "Night At the Museum: Secret of the Tomb"

2) is F), issued by the Magic Mirror before Rumpelstiltskin addresses the kingdom, in "Shrek Forever After"

3) is K), spoken by Carly, the mom, to her hockey player boyfriend, Derek, in "Tooth Fairy" - he has just told the little girl, who lost her first tooth, that there is no tooth fairy - which is ironic, as he is known as the Tooth Fairy in the hockey world

4) is C), uttered by Bernard, the museum clerk, to Roxanne Ritchie, the girl news reporter, in "Megamind"

5) is G), spoken by Dr. McCarthy to Sawyer, after giving him an old pocketwatch as a going-away gift, in "Dolphin Tale 2"

6) is L), softly voiced by Willy Wonka, aging confectioner, to Charlie the kid, when the boy returns the Everlasting Gobstopper, in "Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory"

7) is A), enthusiastically delivered by the guitar player's abuela to her grandson, Manolo, in "The Book of Life"

8) is also D), bravely said by Teddy Roosevelt, one last time, to Larry, back in the US, in "A Night At the Museum: The Secret of the Tomb"
(Incredible how much that line made me cry. I still miss Robin Williams.)

9) is JJ), calmly spoken by the ghost of the wizard, Vitruvius, to Emmet Brickowoski, the builder, to make him BELIEVE he is 'the special' in "The Lego Movie"

10) is I), spoken by Ben, the 'fommie' dad, to baby Trevor at the mommy-baby yoga class, in "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"

11) is also K), this time from Derek, the mom's boyfriend, to her son, Randy, about trying out in the school talent show, to BELIEVE in himself, in "Tooth Fairy"

12) is also F), as the big troll talks to his mates while carrying the deposed tyrant, in "Shrek Forever After"

13) is also JJ), uttered by an incredulous Emmet Brickowoski, the builder, to his rescuer, née Lucy, in "The Lego Movie"

14) is also L), in an aside between Willy Wonka, tour guide, and Veruca Salt's beleaguered dad, in "Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory"

15) is also I), as Ben, the former rocket scientist, rants in frustration to garbage cans after restaurant interview, in "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"

16) is also D), told by bored British guard, Tillie, to American nightwatchman, Larry, in "Night At the Museum: Secret of the Tomb"

17) is also JJ), shouted by Wyldstyle, née Lucy, to Emmet Brickowoski, the builder, in "The Lego Movie"
(Later, he echoes the words back to her as he escapes President Business.)

18) is H), asked by Don Twombley, the new boss in California, to Phil Winslow, his new hire and the owner of the Great Dane "Marmaduke"

19) is B), sung by the Coroner munchkin to the others, and Glenda the Good Witch, in "The Wizard of Oz"

20) is also J), as the wizard, Vitruvius, explains to Emmet Brickowoski, the builder, why he has no need to meditate to have visions, in "The Lego Movie"

21) is E), with Lord Portley-Rind admonishing his daughter, Winnie, for disturbing his meeting, in "The Boxtrolls"

***** ***** *****

Thanks for playing, y'all!
Hope you had fun - I sure did!
(SMILE!!!)

No comments: